production down, numbers don't add up

how long does a molt last?
A slow molt can last months and be almost undetectable. Or be so noticeable you may think she was attacked.
I was thinking that the protein would stack not stay at that 15% or 16%
Nope.
I have read that Duel Purpose/Brown egg layers do much better on a feed with at least 18% Protein. Myself I would even give a lightweight/White egg layer like a Leghorn a higher Protein than most layers feed.
I would look for a 18/20% Protein feed when you use up the feed you have. If you can't find a 18/20% layers feed, then get a All-Flock/Flock Raiser or even a Non-medicated Start & Grow 18/20%, which ever is fresher. Provide Oyster Shell in a separate container. 20180402_093105.jpg . GC

Actually I just got done making/ installing new grit and oyster shell dispensers last night. They kept knocking over the metal long tray style feeder where i just mixed grit and shell. Now it's separate, and about 8 inches off the ground and gravity fed, I hope. Used 2"pvc, hoping the diameter is big enough to allow chunks that rough and big to flow.... we'll see I guess, plus it was a chance to check for bugs mites and get out of the house while the missus want feeling good. I know I can find game bird feed here, should I mix that the same with the layer feed like I was?

Actually I just got done making/ installing new grit and oyster shell dispensers last night. They kept knocking over the metal long tray style feeder where i just mixed grit and shell. Now it's separate, and about 8 inches off the ground and gravity fed, I hope. Used 2"pvc, hoping the diameter is big enough to allow chunks that rough and big to flow.... we'll see I guess, plus it was a chance to check for bugs mites and get out of the house while the missus want feeling good. I know I can find game bird feed here, should I mix that the same with the layer feed like I was?
I personally don't think you should mix any type of feeds together.

[QUOTE="1 acre willows, post: 19803242, member: I know I can find game bird feed here, should I mix that the same with the layer feed like I was?

If the game bird feed is over 20% Protein, you could mix it with the layers feed to get around 20%. Say the game feed is 24%, mix 50/50 with the 16% layers feed.
Myself I prefer to just get a 18/20% feed. GC

Last edited:
I wonder if I can get my local feed store to carry that? Closest one is sorta by my Vet's office. Not that I go there often, as my vet comes to me, but it's only about half an hour away. Thanks!
I'm a fan of this company.

I was thinking that the protein would stack not stay at that 15% or 16%
If you're going through a molt, you want to throw the protein at them. Personally, I would get either a meatbird/broiler crumble or a gamebird feed and feed them that exclusively. No scratch, corn, oatmeal, treats, scraps, etc. Everything you add that's low protein (like scratch and other grains) is going to pull down their daily protein average. Feeding high protein alone will get them through molt the fastest they can do it, and should help your egg production.

Back
Top Bottom