Production Flock......Question about keeping to breed standards

I agree w/ others who have said =as long as you are honest about your breeds/breeding, I see no problem... Since so many true , well known breeders are always breeding for different reasons--some are breeding for SOP, Some are breeding for egg color, Some are breeding for egg production, some are breeding for comformation-size/shape of their birds..They are always working on something --since there are no perfect bird/breed/line...

Too many people get birds from good breeders, then they breed those birds --not knowing anything about faults or genetics and then claim they have SQ birds or such in such's line... Which really means nothing --UNLESS you know what you are doing..LOL

I think you have to breed for what you want or need.. Then if you sell, you must be honest w/ your buyers..

I wanted true Ameraucanas and paid very well for them. I did a lot of research on thebred and breeders. Since I only care about the blue eggs, I didn't need SQ.. Same thing w/ my FBC Marans... I got them for the dark eggs, I saw the eggs they were hatched from, I saw her other eggs and thought yes, these are dark enough.. I don't even have an adult roo on the property and the young ones will be leaving soon... I JUST want lots of eye candy and a colorful basket of eggs...

Good luck w/ your production of egg layers..

This is what I was planning on doing.
I want a good RIR roo. With this RIR roo I had planned to get the following pullets.... RIR, barred rock, delawares, Black Australorps, Speckled Sussex, Welsummer and Americana's.

With the RIR roo I knew I could cross with Barred Rocks for Black Sex Links,
RIR roo x Delaware is a Red Sex Link
RIR roo x RIR is a RIR

RIR roo x Black Australorp would be a mixed mutt but I think should be a good egg layer.

The other ones mentioned I just wanted a couple of them just because.

I would love to hear some more of what you have for crosses that would give me a good egg producer. I live where it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I would be very honest if I sold chicks.

If your main goal is eggs, and not so much meat, you might consider an Ancona.

I have a friend who started raising them, and she says they're great because they regularly deliver a large white egg, but they don't eat much because they're such natural foragers. It's not a cross, but it's a thought. They're also small and fairly flighty, so that's another thought.
hmm.png

I am trying to stay away from flighty as much as possible. I am a little scared of the RIR's but I feel they are necessary for my plan. I live in a small rural community but in town none the less. So my birds can't totally free range. In time I hope to be able to give them more area to go and in the meantime I do pull grass for them etc. when they can't get out.

Quote:
I don't know that i would call my RIRs flighty, either. However, they are sometimes non-flighty to the point of being aggressive.
smile.png
Especially if they think i have food.

I do like them, and my head rooster is the most wonderful RIR boy who is gentle with people and perfect with the girls. I love him.

Quote:
I don't know that i would call my RIRs flighty, either. However, they are sometimes non-flighty to the point of being aggressive.
smile.png

I do like them, and my head rooster is the most wonderful RIR boy who is gentle with people and perfect with the girls. I love him.

Where did you get your RIR roo at? I just pray I can get a good rooster. My rooster I have now is were good with the girls but he is not the breed I want and in fact might be a mix.

Quote:
smile.png

Where did you get your RIR roo at? I just pray I can get a good rooster. My rooster I have now is were good with the girls but he is not the breed I want and in fact might be a mix.

Hehe. Well, i actually got him from a friend, who got him, or his egg rather, from another friend. She got eggs to set under her broody bantam hen, and when all three eggs hatched male RIRs, she passed them on to me. I culled two of the brothers, who weren't as friendly, and kept my Rocky, who only ever needed one correction. So, i guess i got him from God. He's a gift. He's just from someone's barnyard rir flock. I imagine their stock originated with a hatchery, but i can't be sure.

I have some of his sons i would share with you. I didn't notice where you're from.
wink.png

Harleyjo, I'm planning on doing 'bout the same thing this spring. I want a RIR roo and some barred rock, SLW, and either delaware or white rock hens. I gotta tell you, the sex links seem to be the best layers overall, in my experience. Breeding for SOP is great and all for some people, but like you I'm mostly in it for the eggs.

I have a horse in the back yard, she's short necked, straight shouldered and legged, too wide. Did I buy her for her correct conformation? Apparently not! I bought her cause she'll haul my butt up any hill, she's sweet natured, doesn't need a lot of hay to keep weight on, and doesn't give me or my kids crap.

Our last dog was a Great Dane, in an "incorrect" color. We loved his unique color, and besides his color didn't keep him from being the best dog in the world for my honey.

No, when I breed my own chicks I won't feel guilty for not breeding to SOP. But I will be breeding with a purpose (egg production and general hardiness), not random reproduction. And I really doubt the local people I may sell chicks to will care........they'll be looking for layers, too!

Good luck with your project!

Back
Top Bottom