Production Red Rooster???

rchucks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Gardnerville, Nevada
Our girl Bridget is looking/acting like a rooster. She is 15 weeks. Any sound advice on how to find out for sure?? We're pretty naive at this point and looking for some help. Thanks in advance

You aren't reassuring us too much. How do you know?? We're not questioning anyone's judgment or opinion, we just want to learn how to tell for any future questions.... Thanks for everyone's help

The boys grab the girls by the back of the neck and stand on them to mate. Chicken love can be rather violent. I still laugh at my girls; each time the roo has done his thing they shake out their feathers like a "/shudder. Was that really necessary?"
tongue.png

This is a great post. Thanks for all who have commented, your advise/stories are priceless. Orchid, your story is EXACTLY the same as ours. Those poor pullets scream bloody murder, and it looks like the most horrible act imaginable. Just the difference between the wild kindgom and humans. We're just going to hang loose for a while and watch what happens. I'd assume that the pullets will start laying within the next few weeks, as they are 17 weeks as of now. So we'll have to make sure and get the eggs picked up asap. Shouldn't be a problem as the kids open the laying boxes daily looking for their prize!!
lol.png

I will put up a picture tomorrow night. There seems to be little tiny 'spurs' forming on 'her' legs, and 'she' is way taller and bigger than the rest of the girls. (all the same age) If she does turn out to be a roo, is there any harm in keeping 'him' we're not after more chicks, just looking for eggs. Thanks for your help.

Pictures would really help!
smile.png

If it does turn out to be a rooster, and you aren't looking for more chicks I don't suggest you keep him. Roosters can be mean and noisy.

Back
Top Bottom