1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Production Reds and Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Aug 9, 2011.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I have 9 total of these two breeds. They are from TSC and are weird. [​IMG] I do not like the hatchery personality of these birds. I've had Wyandottes in the past and they actually had a personality, these birds don't have any. I won't be buying chickens from a hatchery/TSC again. [​IMG] Anyway, onward and upward, we are eating these 9 birds. Any advice on what to feed them to fatten them up good before we process them? They are 16 weeks old and weigh around 6-10lbs. each. I plan on cutting them up and using them for crock pot cooking. Does anyone have any advice? We've processed one chicken last year and that was it. I will not be plucking because I'm lazy and have arthritis. I will be skinning them as I did last year.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:This is pretty much impossible (for that breed at that age). Have you actually weighed them? My male Barred Rock (from a very good line) is 5lbs. @ 14 weeks, I expect him to be around 6+ pounds @ 16.
    Any advice on what to feed them to fatten them up good before we process them?

What are you feeding them? I recommend turkey grower feed, or another high-protein feed to get them big.
    Mitch​

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Quote:This is pretty much impossible (for that breed at that age). Have you actually weighed them? My male Barred Rock (from a very good line) is 5lbs. @ 14 weeks, I expect him to be around 6+ pounds @ 16.
    Any advice on what to feed them to fatten them up good before we process them?

What are you feeding them? I recommend turkey grower feed, or another high-protein feed to get them big.
    Mitch​

No, I haven't weighed them, I guesstimated. [​IMG] Thanks for the advice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by