Production Reds and Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Aug 9, 2011.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I have 9 total of these two breeds. They are from TSC and are weird. [​IMG] I do not like the hatchery personality of these birds. I've had Wyandottes in the past and they actually had a personality, these birds don't have any. I won't be buying chickens from a hatchery/TSC again. [​IMG] Anyway, onward and upward, we are eating these 9 birds. Any advice on what to feed them to fatten them up good before we process them? They are 16 weeks old and weigh around 6-10lbs. each. I plan on cutting them up and using them for crock pot cooking. Does anyone have any advice? We've processed one chicken last year and that was it. I will not be plucking because I'm lazy and have arthritis. I will be skinning them as I did last year.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:This is pretty much impossible (for that breed at that age). Have you actually weighed them? My male Barred Rock (from a very good line) is 5lbs. @ 14 weeks, I expect him to be around 6+ pounds @ 16.
    Any advice on what to feed them to fatten them up good before we process them?

What are you feeding them? I recommend turkey grower feed, or another high-protein feed to get them big.
    Mitch​

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Quote:This is pretty much impossible (for that breed at that age). Have you actually weighed them? My male Barred Rock (from a very good line) is 5lbs. @ 14 weeks, I expect him to be around 6+ pounds @ 16.
    Any advice on what to feed them to fatten them up good before we process them?

What are you feeding them? I recommend turkey grower feed, or another high-protein feed to get them big.
    Mitch​

No, I haven't weighed them, I guesstimated. [​IMG] Thanks for the advice! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by