Production Reds breeding true?

brummie

Songster
9 Years
Aug 30, 2013
Production Reds are bred by crossing RIR with New hampshire. But do Production Reds breed true? If I was to get a production red Roo and pullet, would I get production red children? I don't see why not as RIR, new hampshire and Production red are so closely related.

So if Productions Reds breed true, are they actually a breed in their own right/do they have a standard, or are they considered hybrids?

thanks in advance.

Production reds can be made up of variety of mixed, red birds. The hatchery statements would sometimes lead folks to think that the NH x RIR is the way that production reds are made. Not so much. At least not Standard bred New Hamps or Standard bred RIR. If those true breeds were actually used, the birds would mature slowly and be much, much larger in size.

The production red has no "set" recipe. The hatcheries produce off type, or far less than true to the Standard reds and select them for their smaller size, quick maturing and top laying. They can blend in whatever they wish and normally, somewhere back in their makeup, perhaps 4 or 5 generations is likely some Brown Leghorn to improve laying rates.

They will likely reproduce after their basic kind. You'd like get more red birds. They may have a whisk of white or black here or there, but basically, you'll get red birds.

They are not a breed. There is no Standard that describes them. They are a mix. It is a pretty broad category of mixed red birds. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Production reds can be made up of variety of mixed, red birds. The hatchery statements would sometimes lead folks to think that the NH x RIR is the way that production reds are made. Not so much. At least not Standard bred New Hamps or Standard bred RIR. If those true breeds were actually used, the birds would mature slowly and be much, much larger in size.

The production red has no "set" recipe. The hatcheries produce off type, or far less than true to the Standard reds and select them for their smaller size, quick maturing and top laying. They can blend in whatever they wish and normally, somewhere back in their makeup, perhaps 4 or 5 generations is likely some Brown Leghorn to improve laying rates.

They will likely reproduce after their basic kind. You'd like get more red birds. They may have a whisk of white or black here or there, but basically, you'll get red birds.

They are not a breed. There is no Standard that describes them. They are a mix. It is a pretty broad category of mixed red birds. Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks for the concise reply. That pretty much sums it up for me.

Back
Top Bottom