production red's or rhode island red's ?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sarabeth, Dec 20, 2008.

1. sarabeth

sarabeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    If you had to pick between these 2 breeds which would u choose? production red or rhode island red [​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I have Production Reds but I saw pictures of Rhode Island Reds and like the colors on them better. And I read Production Reds do not go broody that much.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you want eggs. Production reds.

4. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    For me it would definetly be the RIR's they are great layers and so much prettier than production red's. But if all you are after is eggs I would probably go with the productions.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We hatched out about 600 production reds this Spring and sold all but about 60 or so. They lay big eggs, often. They are not what I would call lap chickens by any means, but there were a couple of real sweet girls. The roosters were always trying to start some mess with me too.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they're both great, and production reds are often RIR crosses.
    I adore my golden comets, friendly, easy to raise, lovely eggs, still producing 11-12 a day this time of year. It's personal preference![​IMG]

7. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I started out with intentions of only purebred flocks and now have to admit I would have both at once, mixed in w/each other:lol:

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I've had both and found that I like the personality of the RIR's better.

9. Princessferf

Princessferf Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have 10 production reds (although I refer to them as RIR's, since most people don't understand "production reds", and "RIRs" are more recognized).

I've been very happy with our production reds and I agree with a previous poster about egg size. We have at least 2 hens who lay HUGE eggs that are always too big for the egg carton.

I don't treat our birds as pets, so they aren't overly "social", but they aren't mean in any way. I would definitely get this breed again in the future.

10. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My RIR's are mean. So Sorry I got them. My Red Stars ARE lap girls.

Go for Productions.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by