Production Reds or Rhode Island Reds?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I asked what breed these guys were a few weeks ago and people seemed to think they were either production reds or rhode island reds. Now that they are a bit bigger I'm wondering which of those two breeds they resemble more (or if you think they are an entirely different breed)?
I got them from Ideal as extra males and they are now three weeks old.
This one has more of a pattern in his wings
50920_dscn8609.jpg

And this one's wings are more solid red
50920_dscn8597.jpg

50920_dscn8604.jpg

Here they are together
50920_dscn8606.jpg

To be clearer, a production red is what most hatcheries sell as RIR. It is a long discussion. There is a thread here about heritage, traditional RIR. It is virtually impossible to get such a bird from a hatchery or feed store bin. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294
I
doubt it matters to you. They will likely be friendly, wonderful, great laying birds.

So what exactly do they breed to get the production reds? According to ideal (where they came from) a production red is a new hampshire red an rhode island red cross. But do thy breed a new hampshire with rhode island to get the production, or is it through generations of breeding rhode island red X new Hampshire hybrids to each other?

Ideal sells the production reds and rhode island reds, so I was wondering what the difference would be between their hatchery rhode islands and their production reds?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom