Production Reds?

nch734

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 28, 2011
I'm new to this site, and am considering which chickens to get. I live in Mid-Missouri in a city. I can only have 6 chickens. The local farm store sells Production Reds, which seem good. How is their temperament? I plan on handling them a lot while they are young.

They also have Black sex linked, and some others. I've thought about waiting for a Rhode Island Red and maybe a few easter eggers.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello fellow Missourian
welcome-byc.gif

I have a few PR's in my flock and they seem pretty mellow. I bought them when they were about 7 months old, so I don't know how much handling they had beforehand. They lay really well-nearly everyday and aren't as loud as some of my Rhode Island Reds.

My EEs get a little flighty sometimes. My BR is solid - lays consistant large eggs and is very personable.
I always recommend a barred rock.

Okay- I have a question. Are "production reds" first generation hybrids? By that I mean do they always have one parent RIR and one NH? Or are their parents production reds? I'm a biologist, and this makes a big difference to me (Hybrid Vigor!!!!)

Production Red varies by who you ask. I consider any red bird bred by a hatchery as a Production Red as the "breeders" generally throw any red bird in the mix. It's why there is such a large variation in color, including the hackles, saddle feathers and overall body color that can range from a dark buff to an orangey red color borderline dark red.

I absolutely love Production Reds. Awesome personalities. They are assertive to other birds though and seemed to be the only birds I had problems of picking with.

welcome-byc.gif

I have raised both PRs and Golden Comets.....great layers. Large brown eggs fairly regularly. I will pass on the hybrid breeds next time. They can be, and have been in my experience, rather bossy. For two years they have been the alpha hens....tough little scrappy pushy buggers. But we love them just as they are
roll.png
!
EEs are great birds, how about orpingtons? Really classy ladies! Have fun choosing.

Last edited:
Quote:
Production reds are the result of a cross between NHR and RIR. that is what the real p rir is. Some strains actually have very little NHR in them and are in fact mostly rir. In other words, I know for certain that at least some p rir are in fact not f1 hybrids, but more like a separate breed 'in the making' and a darn phenomenal one.

Last edited:
Wow! Only 6 chickens,..hmmm. If I had to choose a breed knowing what I know now and could have only 6,...I would take EE's. IF you are looking for sweet and docile hens,..plus variety of color, chicks and eggs. I have EE's,.plus I just bought 12 more chicks at TSC yesterday
thumbsup.gif
. They are very friendly and mine actually try to come in the house with me sometimes,...oh and they will fly up on the windows and look in the house. BUT,..if you want those great big brown eggs,...I would go with Buff Orpingtons (really sweet), or a Plymouth Rock. I have Partridge Plymouth Rocks and they are great! Not as friendly as the EE's, but lay great and are hardy,..even will go broody on occasion. Also there are Delawares and Australorps,...also wonderful chickens.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom