Production Reds

I assume my Red Star is a production chicken -- she looks exactly like every picture I see of them. I love that bird... she's far friendlier, smarter and has more personality than the salmon faverolle and the speckled sussex. I'm heartbroken to learn she's going to be short-lived. Despite the fact that she eats an astounding amount, I'd keep her around for company even if she never laid an egg.

Sex-Links and Production Reds are two different chickens. A Pro Red is solid red whereas a Sex-Link is red with white under color.

Okay, yeah, my girl has some white in there. Someone told me they were the same bird. . . . I guess they have the similar egg production (lots of eggs) and shorter lives than many other breeds?

Last edited:
Looks like golden sex link. Which lay the best biggest eggs ever. I have one. She is egg machine. I also have a RIR and she is the smartest and one of the best egg layers also. Very tame.
I have 3 golden comets myself and they are laying machines like you said. I have 1 production red hen also and she keeps up with them production wise. The golden comets are very docile and the production red is also very docile however the production red rooster is an entirely different story lol

These are two photos of the same hen, I do have two that look alike though. They are 1/2 Easter Egger (daddy) and 1/2 Production Red.

My new rooster. The one I hatched out and raised just up and died last week. No idea what happened but his legs was swollen so I'm thinking he must have had a heart problem or something.

Back
Top Bottom