profit from cornish rocks

We just started raising chickens this year. We raised 2 batches of 25 meaties on organic feed, our feed cost was right at $2.00 per lb of dressed bird. Sold a few for $4lb and a few others to friends for just more than the cost of feed.

However I can buy conventional feed for 1/2 the cost of organic so that would be about $1lb. 5lb bird x $1lb = $5, if I can sell for $10 thats in the money!

Tip, I have noticed that people buying whole birds focus more on the total price than per lb price. I think in many cases you could save on feed costs buy selling slightly smaller birds and sell it for the same price.

One way I cut back on my bedding costs was to use the deep litter method and then rake up fall leaves and store them in my shed. I cannot tell you how great those free leaves are! If you have access to enough fallen leaves, they could make a huge dent in your bedding bill.
thumbsup.gif

Our CX's went through 12lbs of feed at 7 weeks. We averaged 4.5lbs per dressed carcass. They were raised in a tractor that was moved every day. However, being CX's, they didn't eat much grass -- too much effort involved. :)

A lot of folks on here sell their CX's for $3-4 (or more) per pound. Unless you're getting that much, it's probably not worth your time and risk. If your clientele balks at that price, don't sell to them. Find the foodies who will appreciate your product. You'll be far less frustrated.

I have been asked to grow meat chickens for some people, I have orders totaling 20. I don't want to lose money but I see this as an opportunity. I do agree the bedding costs add up as does the feed. I am going to try to free range these birds to keep bedding costs down but I will provide a shelter for them to go in. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've raised and butchered 3 times in the past year and kept track of the costs on the last two batches. I included price of chicks, bedding, feed and added $5 dollars for the cost of electricity for a brooder light till temps we warm enough to not need a light. My total costs came out to 1.68 per pound for my second batch and right at 1.80 a pound for my third batch.
Chick days at TSC is coming soon so I plan on doing it again next month, I'll keep track of costs again, this time I will free range for about 4 to 5 weeks to see if it makes much of a difference in costs.

Try raising chicks on wire until they are ready to free range. That will really cut down on bedding costs. And they will be so much cleaner and drier. I put newspaper down under the brooder and just roll it up and throw it on the compost pile.

do you mind telling me where you get such a good deal on your feed? it costs me way more than that to raise our laying hens. I am also interested in selling laying hens but you are doing it much more afford ably than i can.

American Pastured Poultry Producers Association can help to get people started. They have lots of spread sheets. They have a Yahoo Group. $60 annual membership fee (another cost). they took a price survey of their members a couple of years ago and the average was $4 per doz. eggs and $4 per lb for meat birds. Controlling cost is important, but nearly as important as haveing a market that will pay. Here's another cost, $3,500 for a starter set up of processing equipment from Featherman Pro.

Back
Top Bottom