Progress so far on the coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Haunted Chicken, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    The $75 Craigslist coop is coming along. If I had it to do over I would probably build from scratch as it takes up so much room in the run. I'd build longer and narrower against the shed wall. But all in all I'm happy with it, and the girls/boys love it.

After adding a window (and vents to the other side)
    [​IMG]

The run begins. Hurried to get half the roof up in case it rained over the weekend, coop leaks like a sieve lol. (there's a seam right down the center of the roof that no amount a caulk can fix. No drafts though [​IMG] ) Please excuse the open door, the ladder was in the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to finish leveling the coop and add sand.
    [​IMG]

Doors and hardware cloth are next. They will still free range during the day. They love hanging out on a bench behind the shed under a big bush.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Wow! That is looking awesome! Looks like a very sturdy stucture that you won't have to worry about for years. Nice job! [​IMG]

3. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks! It's our first attempt at building anything and our friends keep teasing us for building Coop Knox. DH said if I'm going to build it, it might as well last. I just wanted it predator proof.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That is looking fantastic!

5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I agree totally with your husbands thoughts. Believe me....we live on a budget. But my theory is, make, have buy, etc, the best that you can on whatever your budget is. You truley will not have to worry about your coop for many years. And when you are sitting in your house on a cold, windy rainy/snowy day, looking out at your coop with your girls all safe and sound you will be very happy with your choice! Not to mention sleeping well at night not worried about the safety of your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by