Project criticism - what do you think a project is?

I enjoy reading the project threads. In fact, sometimes they're even more fascinating to me than the pure breed threads.

I love following someone's hatch and then seeing how the chicks turn out; with pure breeds, it seems to me, anyway, that there isn't as much surprise possible in the offspring as with the early stages of a project. There's a sense of mystery and excitement and discovery when reading someone's thoughts about their own projects. I like seeing what other breeds are added to try to incorporate the desired characteristics; of course, I was the child who really enjoyed mixing my watercolor paints together to see what would happen. Project breeding seems to be like this (but with a greater sense of purpose and more scientific reasoning than my childhood painting efforts!). I'm wondering, along with the breeders, if the goal will be met yet or what can be done to reach the next level.

There's certainly a place in "chickendom" for breeders of already-established breeds and a place for project breeders -- and it seems that there are quite a few people who enjoy doing both. Then there are those of us who just throw a lot of chickens together and enjoy whatever results from their breeding with no purpose in mind whatsoever (some of the most beautiful chickens ever, in my opinion, result from random barnyard matchups like this!).

What binds us together, though, is a love of chickens. It would be great if people kept this in mind before attacking someone's project or breeding program.

If anyone ever goes to Feathersite and reads the breed description on the multitude of birds they quickly realize that most of the beautiful birds shown there are a composite of several breeds. I find it fascinating. One of the reasons that people are interested in the preservation of the heritage breeds is to preserve those breeds that were so instrumental in creating other breeds.

Each project those of us are working on, has a particular goal in mind. I am crossing two breeds to create a specific breed that I find has its own beauty and characteristics that appeal to me. Others are trying to intensify color choices of breeds that already possess characteristics that are already deemed perfect by many.

I have had many people refer to my Sizzles as mutts and indeed they are mutts until we can get them to breed true to a standard that has yet to be established. I don't particularly think calling the product of this project a mutt is very nice because it encompasses 4 years of work and learning for me. The learning has been the most fun of all. There are purists in anything people attempt to do. Those people are staid and inflexible and don't seem to be able to see outside the box. I feel sorry for them.

Jody, I am envious of all your project birds and have personally learned lots by following you various color development projects.
It is tge criticism of such work that causes me to take a break from BYC for awhile.

My mom always told me, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I guess some people were not lucky enough to have good moms.

Keep up the good work and by all means please share with us. Many are interested and we can learn so much from the work of others.

I don't mind projects, but I'm concerned for the well being of parent stock. It seems many people are not satisfied with the original colors some breeds come in, so try to create more colors. There are barely enough breeders around to maintain the traditional colors and varieties. I'm worried that the traditional colors will fade away into nothingness and be replaced by scattered breeders working on lots of different project colors.

Also, what will happen to your project once you pass on? For those of you working on projects for years and year what is your long term goal for your new color varieties?

I'm just curious....not critical. Why create a red Orps instead of enjoying RIR's? The same question can be applied to other colors and breeds.

I do think some of the color projects are quite nice though. I look at some of the lilac Orps in development and think, 'dang they're cute!'

UC

TCL - that was a neat analogy and I guess you could say I enjoyed mixing watercolors too.
smile.png

Criticism of any project is good, when it is helpful and honest. It may not always be what you want to hear, but if it's honest then it's worth listening to.

UC - my goal is to get any new color varieties I develop entered into the standard of perfection. One of the reasons for sharing our project with others is with that goal in mind and in case of disaster. If something happens to me or my flock, they are there and the work can continue.

I have no intention of giving up established varieties and will always continue work on those as well. I agree maintaining the existing colors are just as important, if not more so, than developing new ones.

It's funny. Most of the animals we see and work with everyday have been someone's project at some point in time. The different breeds of chickens, dogs, cats, cows, goats, rabbits, etc. and yet people think others are crazy when they try to create something new or to recreate something.

I know how it feels when people from the outside looks at you like your crazy. There are blue and white holsteins but, they are not common. Most who see them don't even realize that it is a different color that was developed and not some faded version of a black cow. I keep trying for the blue and whites with our herd and either end up with the wrong color or wrong sex.

Projects take generations of work and patience to develop and anyone who is seriously working on one, I applaud you and wish you luck!

Jody, when i first joined here it was YOUR projects that made me interested in developing new colors in a certain breed we enjoy. I too am planning a future color in a "breed". I dont think i'll talk about it much though until I have the project atleast in the incy hehehehe! Then i'll be excited to share
big_smile.png
Keep sharing many of us DO enjoy!
big_smile.png

I for one am fascinated by the projects that many are working on. I honestly believe that those who criticize and put down the work of others are purely jealous. Jody, I love what you are Charlie are working on and hope that you will continue to share.
hugs.gif

Quote:
One big reason is RIR roo's are MEAN!!!! I have had them and will never have them again.

Back
Top Bottom