Project criticism - what do you think a project is?

Quote:
clap.gif
No you don't, and you'll find lots of people who will love them along the way too, not just nay sayers with chicken envy
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hi, just a couple of thoughts... with the project, I think Jody is keep good notes and journals of the progressso it will contune until the line is stable, and in the case of the Iowa chickens (is that the actual name or are they Iowa blues/ red?) for an example- a breed "created" by a group of folks at a University, they eventually become an accepted breed.

The temperment of Orpingtons is so much nicer than RIR. THAT is why I would love a red orp. Their body shape to me and feathering is also more pleasing to the eye- IMHO. I believe the RIR lay more eggs typically than Orps so the combo would be practical and eye- pleasing as well.

Last edited:
Fascinating discussion.
pop.gif

I have learned more here on this thread than I have in a long time. I applaud the efforts of all of you for your projects. It is inspiring to me............. hummmmmmmmm, must.... get.... project..... of ...... my..... own........... What'll it be? So many possibilities. I also would like to add that all of your projects will make chicken keeping in the future more rewarding and interesting.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Not all projects are about creating something new either, some projects are about recapturing traits. I would applaud someone who had a project to bring the RIRs back to their historically laying highs while keeping close to show quality. One of my projects is to reinvigorate the Russian Orloffs and in the process I'd like to recapture some colors that they historically had but seem to no longer be in the US. Lots of research went into finding as close to the 'original ingredients' as I could, finding a standard to breed them towards, looking into the original purpose of the breed, it's uses and capabilities... I don't want to fall into the trap of too narrow a focus on looks. Lots of time and money went into finding the stock I'm using and lots of years will go into perfecting the outcome. My long term goal would be to reintroduce the Orloffs to the APA and have them as an accepted show breed again, of course that in and of itself will take breeders dedicated to the same goal and also willing to spend years working towards it....

I think breed clubs don't set the APA OR ABA standard they just adhere to them..
I think if a project bird makes it, it will be up to the folks showing them to get them in the books and not up to a certain breed club, but rather through the ABA or APA, of course using the books of standards is something to use as a tool to get the project birds within similar leg color for that particular breed or suggested leg colors, comb types, egg color, lobe color etc.

Remember different breeds of chickens will and can be used in projects at one point or another to maybe gain certain abilities for the project birds. One may consider using an excellent egg laying type to add to the mixture or using a certain breed with better disease resistance, or even breeding for more broodiness of the project birds or what have you. But the end focus will be on body conformation and plumage colors..lots of work, but lots of fun as well.

Charlie

Why should the focus be on conformation and color? How many chicken owners keep chickens strictly for show compared to how many keep chickens for other reasons? We all interact with our chickens so surely we would want the primary focus to be on the character and disposition of the breed. More people keep chickens for fresh eggs than for show as well so surely even laying ability would trump the conformation and color. Yes we look at our chickens and want them to be aesthetically pleasing but does it make sense to breed first and foremost for that? Is it in the best interest of the breed? Or is it possible that the rise of Production Reds came from an increase in focus on color and conformation and a decrease in focus on laying and character in the RIR...

Quote:
I have read a lot of upset opinions because conformation to color or shape is more important than egg laying or disposition. I happen to think too that this must be an oversight, and one that I don't want to make. I would like to keep up the egg laying ability, as well as the great disposition. If it's mean, I don't care how good it looks, I'm not breeding it. I'm raising dual-purpose breeds here and I think it's important to keep it that way, if not even improve the great egg laying ability of these orpingtons while trying to eek out a new color variety for the U.S.!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree fowlafoot/bodyflight. There are a lot more factors that go into my breeding than simply "looks". I, as well as many others, want birds that are disease resistant, hardy, good layers, great temperaments, natural ability to rear and raise their own young, etc. There's a lot more to a chicken than looks. While appearance may be one of my end goals, it is definitely not the only one.

from above post..One may consider using an excellent egg laying type to add to the mixture or using a certain breed with better disease resistance, or even breeding for more broodiness of the project birds or what have you. But the end focus will be on body conformation and plumage colors..lots of work, but lots of fun as well.

eye appeal will and can distinguish a certain breed and will be the end result you are looking for, like they say a picture is worth 1000 words.. Of course it doesn't show there personality, but with all breeds you can get a Mr nasty at any point..when dealing with temperament!
**all the other factors play there part in the projects as well... and that is why it is a project to get the best of the best you can and breed to-wards it,..when breeding and or doing a project you must take everything into consideration, its not a set and forget..

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom