Project criticism - what do you think a project is?

Barring and light skin--with enough work you can get barring and dark skin--look at the cuckoo silkies.

While some cuckoo silkies still have skin that is too light, many have progressed to quite dark skin. An ameraucana only has to have slightly dark legs. Still a task, but surmountable.

I dont remember who said it but whoever said that they dont have to go through breed clubs to get in the standard has a good point. I just love using these as an example-the barred/cuckoo ameraucanas. If someone wants to get them recognized hard enough they will breed enough birds to spread around and soon they will be able to meet the requirements of the number of birds to go before the standard commitee and get recognized. If enough people want the barred ameraucanas in the standard they will perfect them on everything but the leg color. Once they do that they can put in something in the standard like the cuckoo polish people did for the leg color saying that pink/white legs are acceptable but working towards slate is the goal.

I remember a year or two ago there was someone that said they were working on columbian ameraucanas but didnt really want word to get out because the people in the ameraucana club wouldnt approve of it. When they mentioned it they got negative criticism and were thinking about stopping the project all together.

Like Dipsy said "they're coming like it or not"

flyingmonkeypoop, i said it...Its true , however i don't understand why any breed club wouldn't want a new color variety, different strokes for different folks..to say the least.
wink.png

Charlie

Last edited:
Does any one know the # of birds needed for the breed to get recognized? if you get your breed entered, Do they say who 'created' the breed?
thanks!
~Bri

Quote:
It's not as simple as just a certain number of birds.

I'm involved with the current efforts to get Marans APA recognized. What we are required to do is to show a minimum number of birds in a minumum number of shows each year for two years, during which time a minimum number of exhibitors must be involved in those shows. The minimums are two birds in EACH class (2 pullets, 2 cockerels, 2 hens, 2 roos) for EACH variety (black copper, cuckoo, wheaten, and so on) for EACH show. A minimum of 2 shows per year must meet these requirements, for a minimum of 2 years, and a minimum of 5 exhibitors must be involved in these shows.

THEN -- if those minimum requirements are met -- then we are required to have a "qualifying" show. in the qualifying show we must have a minimum of 50 birds for EACH variety, and they must meet the proposed standard for that variety. I forget the breakdown of the different classes within that 50 birds. We must ALSO provide documents from at least 5 breeders who state that they have personally bred THAT variety for a minimum of 5 years before the qualifying meet.

IOW, it's a pretty involved process. The Marans Chicken Club USA is taking it one variety at a time. We have had initial shows for black coppers and wheatens. I *think* we're having the big qualifying meet for black coppers this fall, then wheatens next year. We'll be working on cuckoos next, then other varieties. It's quite a project!

Quote:
I like the looks of that breed. What were the original colors? I think I have seen only brown and white kinda mottled? LOL, I just went to Feathersite to see if I was right and I see your link
smile.png

You have gorgeous birds! If you ever need a test hatcher....
christina

5 breeders, 5 years and at least a specified number(sorry don't know the amount) of birds shown at an annual or semi-annual ABA show. The requirements are slightly different between ABA & ABA, but pretty similar.

Back
Top Bottom