project: gold barred banty cochins

Quote:
thank u very much right now i have the pseudo birchen and i rly like their color so if i breed them to a buff 50 percent psuedo birchen and 50 percent smutty gold barring

Steve go back and read my post. I accidentally posted before I was finished.

Pseudo birchen - is a heterozygous bird split for extended black and wheaten (in your case) that is leaking red or silver or silver/straw/buff

If you cross two pseudo-birchen you will get about 1/2 pseudo-birchen, 1/4 self black (solid black) or black leaking a small amount of red/buff and smutty red/buff. If a bird carries silver then the birds will leak silver.

With silver in the picture you could get smutty silver with some buff/red in the feathers. The silver females and males will show red on their backs.

Tim

Quote:
Steve I would breed barred buff roo to the barred buff hens. One in four of the offspring will be a smutty buff color and barred. Then pick the best smutty buff birds and cross them. Continue to pick the best buff birds and cross them until you get rid of the smut.

If I do not answer right away be patient- I am in between jobs at the present and have time to post. I interviewed for a job yesterday; if I get the job, I will not be on the forum very often.

Tim

Last edited:
so i dont need to get a buff hen and would this b too much inbreeding? good luck with the job
thumbsup.gif

(Not a hijack)
hide.gif

Earlier, I felt like Steve was at a party where no one was talking to him. I'll continue to follow this thread because I'm super interested, but as I clearly have nothing to contribute, I'll try not to butt in. You brainy geneticists make my head spin!

Last edited:
Quote:
If you want to you can get another hen, I would suggest a red cochin if you can find one; that is if you want a darker color that would show the barring better. I would not worry about inbreeding. If egg production falls or the males start showing signs of infertility, I would get other birds to out cross with.

Tim

Quote:
If you want to you can get another hen, I would suggest a red cochin if you can find one; that is if you want a darker color that would show the barring better. I would not worry about inbreeding. If egg production falls or the males start showing signs of infertility, I would get other birds to out cross with.

Tim

thank u

Quote:
Steve I would breed barred buff roo to the barred buff hens. One in four of the offspring will be a smutty buff color and barred. Then pick the best smutty buff birds and cross them. Continue to pick the best buff birds and cross them until you get rid of the smut.

If I do not answer right away be patient- I am in between jobs at the present and have time to post. I interviewed for a job yesterday; if I get the job, I will not be on the forum very often.

Tim

sry that i am bumping an old post but i am sort of confused. my current birds result from a barred male and a buff feamle they look like birchen with the streaks of red. in ur other posts when i asked about about psuedo birchen on psuedo birchen u didnt mention smutty buff barring. r my birds not considered psuedo birchen because the father was barred ratehr than buff? thank u i know im am probly asking a bunch of dumb questions but i am not the best at genetics but am rly interested.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom