Projects for Pets? (any easy pet projects!)

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
Anyone here crochet or make things for their pets? Like beds, sweaters, toys or other things? I am working on a crocheted kitty bed to go with some donations for a local animal shelter so I have been wondering what other things I could possibly crochet or make for the animals.
smile.png
Pictures would be great to see too, thanks all!

This is the Style I am making right now (but these in the picture are not mine).
2422202504_18c54937f0.jpg

Last edited:
OOOOh! I LOVE that kitty bed idea!! How do you make it? My cats would love some of those..
Is there a pattern somewhere? Thanks!
smile.png

I didn't look for a pattern... to me it looks like it's made about the same way you make a hat, just keep increasing until it's the size you need and then stop increasing and build the sides up. I am sure there's a pattern online though, i just typed in "crochet kitty bed" when i was looking for ideas
smile.png

My old kitty died this fall. She just loved the feel of the Lion brand Homespun yarn. It's very soft and you can toss it in the washing machine, too. I've woven some placemats out of it and used it for a few things. She would just lay all over anything made with it, even crawl into my lap when I was working on a project.
big_smile.png

So, I decided to crochet a Homespun liner for her cat bed. She loved it! It also kept the bed cleaner, because I could wash the liner so easily. I also made a "throw" for the top of her heat reflecting cat pad. She didn't like the material that I sewed her fluffy cat pad out of, for her kitty furniture cup. I was going to make a Homespun cover for that, too, but she died too soon. Anyway, I thought I would mention this, in case any other kitties might like this yarn, too.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/yarns/homespun.htm

I am sure they could be but I don't know how to knit, lol. I tried to learn but got a row done and got too frustrate trying to get the next started
lol.png
I figured I would go to one of those meet things at a craft store and get help learning but just havent had the time.

You could knit a cat bed on a long circular needle, like you would use for a sweater. Just cast on enough stitches so that it will be as large around as you want the bed to be. You could look at the gauge on the yarn label to get an idea of how many you'll need. Knit until it's as tall as you want the sides to be, then start decreasing sharply, to make the bottom. You'll want to decrease enough that the bottom will be flat. At some point, when it's too small for the circular needle, you can change over to double pointed needles, like you do when you're knitting a hat.

Some people don't like double pointed needles and prefer to use a pair of circular needles, instead.

Back
Top Bottom