Prolapse/Egg Bound/Something else?

How is she doing now?

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with so much. :hugs

I'd give her extra Calcium like 1 tablet of Calcium Citrate with D3 for 5 days in a row. Hopefully she'll be able to expel what's in there. I'm thinking she's having problems with lash egg or material. (Salpingitis)

How is she doing now?

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with so much. :hugs

I'd give her extra Calcium like 1 tablet of Calcium Citrate with D3 for 5 days in a row. Hopefully she'll be able to expel what's in there. I'm thinking she's having problems with lash egg or material. (Salpingitis)
She was doing better. I was able to get some poop out doing a little enema due to her being so swollen I couldn't get the prolapse in but she passed away tonight. I think the pain was too much. She couldn't lay down for a day and a half but after I got the poop out she finally laid down. She looked comfortable and stopped straining and was about to actually sleep. I had left tonight to go to a MRI and when I came back she was gone. She even waited until my kids were in bed to do it.

Attachments

• 20240222_130923.jpg
    20240222_130923.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 8
Sorry for your loss. I agree that she may have had salpingitis or lash egg material trying to come out of her vent. Many hens die from salpingitis or coelomitis after 2-3 years of age. The best way to know what was going on inside her is to do a home necropsy, and look inside her abdomen at the organs. Take pictures to post here if you decide to do that. Your state vet can also do a more thorough necropsy if you can take or ship the body overnight to the state lab. Here is the list of state vets to contact, and keep the body refrigerated on ice for the time being:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry for your loss. I agree that she may have had salpingitis or lash egg material trying to come out of her vent. Many hens die from salpingitis or coelomitis after 2-3 years of age. The best way to know what was going on inside her is to do a home necropsy, and look inside her abdomen at the organs. Take pictures to post here if you decide to do that. Your state vet can also do a more thorough necropsy if you can take or ship the body overnight to the state lab. Here is the list of state vets to contact, and keep the body refrigerated on ice for the time being:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
She was only about 8 months old and has never laid an egg. I'm fairly certain it was a prolapse because the top part sticking out was hard and black. It took a long time to get all the poop and white gunk off. My guess it was necrotic. She just lived her best life with spa day, blow outs, and once the poop came out she was able to relax. I was hoping she was turning around as her crop had food in it but I guess that was just wishful thinking. I'm just glad she was able to lay down and not struggle to poop her last hours under her warm heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom