Prolapse/Egg Bound/Something else?

mmwellsfarm

Chirping
Aug 8, 2022
What could be going on and how can I help her? I found her sluggish so I picked her up and noticed she was extremely thin. I looked her over and found poop all over her. I soaked her and cleaned her up the best I could. This is what she looks like now. She's pushing but nothing is coming out and she's making sounds like she's struggling. She hasn't laid her first egg yet so not sure if she's ready to yet or not. It could be anytime but could be a couple more months. I would post a video but unsure on how or if that's an option.

Attachments

• 20240219_172831.jpg
    20240219_172831.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 47
Is the crusty material stuck inside the vent?
No. It took awhile for me to get to the vent. I wish could upload a video for you to see what she's doing now. I got my pinkie in to feel around finally and I don't feel anything but she also hasn't pooped. It hurt her for me to get my pinkie in so I stopped as she's very swollen.

Is the crusty material stuck inside the vent?
This is what is looks like now. I put ointment on to keep it moist and from drying out as I wasn't sure what was going on but I didn't want it to get hard again. One is of her pushing but nothing happening.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240220-234253.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240220-234253.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 8
  • VideoCapture_20240220-234301.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240220-234301.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 8
Poor girl. Keeping it moist is good. I believe preparation H can reduce the swelling. If she were mine, I’d bring her in to warm calm place, try to get her hydrated, and then offer something to help hydrate her further and nourish her, like a really soupy mash, a raw egg, etc. Maybe a little plain, unsweetened yogurt for protein and calcium. Hopefully she gets through this crisis, and then you’ll have to figure out why she’s so thin. Not all chickens tolerate being removed from the flock very well. Mine are quite comfortable with me, which is why I would bring her in. Looks like you’ve already taken this one inside for treatment, yes?

How old is she and what do you feed her?

Poor girl. Keeping it moist is good. I believe preparation H can reduce the swelling. If she were mine, I’d bring her in to warm calm place, try to get her hydrated, and then offer something to help hydrate her further and nourish her, like a really soupy mash, a raw egg, etc. Maybe a little plain, unsweetened yogurt for protein and calcium. Hopefully she gets through this crisis, and then you’ll have to figure out why she’s so thin. Not all chickens tolerate being removed from the flock very well. Mine are quite comfortable with me, which is why I would bring her in. Looks like you’ve already taken this one inside for treatment, yes?

How old is she and what do you feed her?
Yes, she's inside. She's fine being in here. Eating and drinking fine. Slowing down but she did get down scrambled eggs this morning and I have her a small slurry of missing link. They usually get 20% poultry pellets and fermented scratch. She's maybe 8 months old. She hasn't laid her egg yet. I haven't seen a huge poop today but with her so thin she may not poop a lot with nutrition not absorbing correctly or something is blocking her from doing it but I got almost my whole pinkie in and I can't feel anything.

Goodness. Poor thing. She has must be exhausted. At this point a dose of calcium to help with muscles contractions wouldn’t hurt. I would suggest a warm, Epsom salt soak, but I fear that might push her over the edge. Do you have a heating pad that doesn’t get very hot? I wonder if she’d enjoy sitting on it. I believe I recall people doing this with a damp towel over the top of it. It’s simulates and warm bath without actually getting the bird wet. If she is indeed egg bound, this is an urgent situation.

Goodness. Poor thing. She has must be exhausted. At this point a dose of calcium to help with muscles contractions wouldn’t hurt. I would suggest a warm, Epsom salt soak, but I fear that might push her over the edge. Do you have a heating pad that doesn’t get very hot? I wonder if she’d enjoy sitting on it. I believe I recall people doing this with a damp towel over the top of it. It’s simulates and warm bath without actually getting the bird wet. If she is indeed egg bound, this is an urgent situation.
I don't. Our literally just stopped working. I couldn't feel an egg but wondering maybe just vent gleet? But the pushing is odd to me. I've never had this. She's swollen and in pain when she does push. I know I only got my pinkie in but I figured I'd feel an egg if there was one but my other finger is too big to get in while she's so swollen. She started to bleed a little so I had to stop. Hoping I can try again tomorrow after another good warm soak if she can hold out after my kids doctors appt. I have 3 sick kids too so I have that going on also.

Back
Top Bottom