Prolapse.....help me decide what to do

smeek1

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 7, 2011
My 20 week old buff has been eggbound and/or prolapsed since she started laying about 10 days ago. the first two eggs I helped out, and since then she has layed 3 or 4 bloody ones. I have kept her isolated, clean ( very challenging of course) and fed her extra calcium. She is behaving normally but getting testy about me prodding and poking her.the other hen who has started laying has no problems.

so....I have tried all the remedies found on this site to no avail. in the dark box she still lays.She has had many warm baths. honey prep H and sugar have had no affect. I can get her oviduct back in but when she poops it comes out again. as of now, it does not appear to be infected and the 3 others in the flock are not picking on her (yet?)

we are going away for 8 days on Friday and I cannot ask our house sitter to deal with my chicken's butt. should I cull her before we leave or wait until we get back to see if she is worse? I hate to see her suffer needlessly.
I kind of sense from all that I have read that her healing and becoming non-prolapsed is not likely. I do not want to go the route of the vet. I hate to lose her but I don't want to deal with this much longer unless she has a reasonable chance of healing with home remedies.

suggestions please, and soon!!!!!
stephanie

I had a hen prolapse about 6 weeks ago and I also had no luck with the remedies on here. I kept her in the garage by herself and kept putting honey and prep H on her. She never acted hurt and was always her "normal" self so I didn't want to put her down if I didn't have too. The prolapse started scabbing over and evertually started peeling away on the edges. I kept the honey on her but also added baby oil to keep it soft. After a few weeks the prolapse scabbed all the way through and fell off leaving her healed and I moved her back outside with her buddies. I'm not sure what's going to happen to her if she lays again or if this was the best solution but it worked for now and she was never in pain.

I also worked through a prolapse it took a lot of daily work but she is fine to this day. I just couldn't put her down.

ok.... how do you even know if they have a prolapsed ????? Even though I lift up my girls and peek at their undersides, I cant tell where anything is down there ! lol

There is quite a bit of information on this site about prolapse. From what I understand it is when the oviduct (where the egg passes) protrudes outside the body. In the case of my young hen ( she had just started laying) I made the decision yesterday that it was unlikely it would resolve as I tried all the home remedies suggested to no avail, and the problem began when she started laying so she had never had a 'normal' egg production so I put her down. Actually the nice man at the feed store did it for me. She was my favorite, the friendliest in the flock, but I didn't want to see her suffer. If your chicken has prolapse you will know it as her whole back side will be covered with poo.

Back
Top Bottom