Prolapse ?? Hen?? Help bleeding everywhere

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
Photos of the hen to be posted. I just pulled her out because the other hens were attacking the area. It’s very bloody and she’s only just turned one.
20D1B541-E978-4EDF-A168-C380C71CBFFC.jpeg

We pushed it back in and it popped out again 20mins later. I have her separated and she’s eating grass. Not sure if it will stay again and not sure if it doesn’t what to do..

It is dripping and sticking out more , every time I try to push it back it pops out. Any advice ? Or is it best to cull her? She’s so sweet too.

I would sepearte her inside a dog crate. First though, get her cleaned up, and a soak in warm soapy water will help. Epsom salts can also be used instead. Another picture later might be helpful. Put some honey or mild oil on the prolapse tissue as long as it remains outside. Honey or sugar and a couple of drops of water can help shrink the tissue. Just don’t let the prolapse dry out. If her insides come out, which can happen in a severe prolapse that has been pecked, then you could think about euthanizing her. Unfortunately prolapses and vent pecking can damage the vent later on. Prolapses can occur from a lack of calcium, laying too large or soft shell eggs, being overweight, and dehydration. It can take days for a prolapse to stay in, but I would keep trying to push it in and hold it for a few minutes while holding her in your lap on a towel.

057D47D2-E7CB-44F1-938C-7FEAAC1DBAB5.jpeg
This was after I tried to give her a calm soaking. She was very nervous and splashed everywhere. I’m going to try the oil. Everytime I try to push it back with her body’s contractions , it seems to just unfold back out all over again.

Every time I push it in, she forces me against it and strains so hard pushing my finger out! It pushes out with full force. Anyone ever have that happened ?

Back
Top Bottom