Prolapse - passed squishy red mass??

FuzzyDuck

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
One of my hens came out of the coop with a prolapsed vent this morning, a bit bloody. This happened to another hen of mine last year, so I kind of know how to handle it. I isolated her, gave her a bath and set her up in a small cage with a blanket over top to keep her in the dark. I have pushed the prolapse back in a couple times throughout the day. I just came to check on her now - the prolapse is back out (not unexpected) but she has also passed a squishy red blob? What is this? Photo attached…

Note that she’s alert and standing up, has walked around a bit, etc.

Attachments

• AA6A9C83-6E6F-41B0-BF6B-69C74D84BAB2.jpeg
    AA6A9C83-6E6F-41B0-BF6B-69C74D84BAB2.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 20
Do you have photos of the prolapse?

Can you cut the red blob in two so we can see the inside of it? It looks like it's a blood clot.

Is she bleeding from the vent or does she have any damage to the prolapsed tissue?

Unfortunately she passed away overnight :(

I’ve attached a photo of the blob, and cut it open — I guess yes, a giant blood clot. I didn’t include anything for scale, but it’s pretty big! What would cause that? Do I need to worry about the rest of my flock?

Her vent had some blood but I couldn’t tell if it was actively bleeding. After she’d passed this lump, the vent area wasn’t bloody anymore, just still protruding sometimes.

Attachments

• E863C834-26E7-48D6-8CE1-1DC2257FFAE2.jpeg
    E863C834-26E7-48D6-8CE1-1DC2257FFAE2.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 6
  • F98B0AD3-F875-48CE-A2C6-B6516A605B9B.jpeg
    F98B0AD3-F875-48CE-A2C6-B6516A605B9B.jpeg
    469.3 KB · Views: 6
Unfortunately she passed away overnight :(

I’ve attached a photo of the blob, and cut it open — I guess yes, a giant blood clot. I didn’t include anything for scale, but it’s pretty big! What would cause that? Do I need to worry about the rest of my flock?

Her vent had some blood but I couldn’t tell if it was actively bleeding. After she’d passed this lump, the vent area wasn’t bloody anymore, just still protruding sometimes.
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.
To me, it does look like a blood clot. Possibly something ruptured, but it would be hard to know unless there's a further examination of the internals. If you still have the body, then sending it to your state lab would give you the best answers. Or if you feel up to it, performing an informal necropsy yourself may reveal something.

At this point, I would mark it up to being a condition only to this hen since she prolapsed and all the others seem to be o.k. Do monitor your other hens. If you lose another in a short period of time with similar symptoms, then it would be wise to have a necropsy.

That makes sense, thank you for your advice.
Have you seen something like this before? I haven’t come across much info related to hens passing blood clots.

Back
Top Bottom