Prolapse Question

didnt recognize ...thougth it was a mistype! I use it a lot too! I'll have to remember that, like evoo. There are so many things that can give em' a boost! Wasnt discouraging prep-h! I always run myself ragged running out to buy each new thing I think of and get aggravated to find I had something already! Hope you see some improvement!

thanks farmerfan,me to.i cant believe her vent is stretched so much.i havent found any unusually large eggs.just thought the preph might help a little more.hate to see her in the house,i no she'd rather be outside...

Personally if it were my hen I would go with the Prep H. It contains aloe and is specifically designed to reduce swelling and provide pain relief. I apply it with cotton wool and get a GOOD bit on there.

I would apply it several times a day and specifically at night so it can work while she is asleep.

well unfortunately she layed an egg this morning,so that didnt help her situation,but it didnt make it any worse.this is my routine-clean her up,pour honey on the prolapse,push it back in then take a q-tip and put preph all around the vent,inside and out.then i clean her cage,give her fresh water then cover the cage.i try to do this 3 times a day.more if i can.id say her biggest problem is her vent being so stretched out.when i push the prolapse back in you can see her trying to do it herself but the opening is just to big.ill give her a week then if i have to ill see if my vet will put some stitches in..

You are taking great care of her. Laying an egg is not such a great thing for her, but lets you know she is still well enough to make em' so not altogether bad!
I am very interested to know how she fairs given a little time to heal on her own...minus the vet assistance, I mean!! Thx for the update!! Hope to hear later!

shes really trying to pull it back in herself.i think if her vent would shrink back to its normal size she would be ok.im not sure how long i should give it.i know at least a week but not how much further...

update-when i checked on my hen this morning NO PROLAPSE!!!!! im so excited.there was plenty of poo in the cage and she still held it in.my next question is,ow long should i keep her in the dark so she doesnt lay an egg? im so afraid if she lays an egg the prolase will happen again.this is the first time ive ever had to deal with this so im kinda patting myself on the back...
celebrate.gif
ya.gif

Mine was not laying at the time, and so I did not have your same concern. Since yours just laid yesterday, I would be apt to keep her in the dark a little longer to encourage a break. But, if she lays again in the meantime and seems fine, I would go ahead and let her back out and keep an eye on her! But watch close for the prolapse b/c the others will peck it if it pops back out!
I know how aggravating it can be to be keeping up a cage! So it is always nice to get em back out. And CONGRATS!!! I am excited to hear that she was able to recover it!

Back
Top Bottom