Prolapse questions before treating

The use of sugar on the prolapse can reduce the swelling by osmotically pulling out fluid from the tissue, thus decreasing the edema. Apply sugar, wait 15 minutes and see if the swelling goes down enough for the prolapse to reduce on its own or with gentle pressure.

The use of sugar on the prolapse can reduce the swelling by osmotically pulling out fluid from the tissue, thus decreasing the edema. Apply sugar, wait 15 minutes and see if the swelling goes down enough for the prolapse to reduce on its own or with gentle pressure.
Thank you. I have been using honey because of it’s wonderful healing properties and to reduce the edema. I have been soaking/cleaning her in warm water with epsom salts, then applying some theracyn and then honey for the past 3 days.

I had a helper today and was able to get a couple photos. This is my first experience with this type of thing and I have only had turkeys for about a year. I was hoping to be able to post a photo - just so an experienced eye can confirm that this really is a prolapse (?) ((while praying it is not)). Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 5
Can anyone confirm prolapse from the photos for me? And is it very swollen to your experienced eye?
I posted the photos yesterday. Is there no one available to assist?

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm prolapse from the photos for me? And is it very swollen to your experienced eye?
I posted the photos yesterday. Is there no one available to assist?
Oh, gosh...I'm sorry you didn't get a response! How is Tilly doing? I am also dealing with a hen with a prolapse. From what i understand, it takes persistence to get it fixed. Your pictures show that she is in way better shape than my poor hen. I am on day 5 right now, and the tissue is sure stubborn. 😣

Hi there! I was at a bit of a loss and disappointed at getting no response. So…Thanks so much for your reply…and I am so sorry your hen is dealing with prolapse. It is nice to know, from your reply, that it was, in fact, prolapse Tilly had. I am SO happy to say she is fine! And thank you for asking. To stop her from laying, I kept her separate from the flock during the day in a dimly lit (not dark) small 8x12 indoor area attached to the shelter all the turkeys have access to… (and often put another smaller hen she gets along well with in with her) and let her roost with everyone each night. Each day…I soaked her in warm water and epsom salt, and rotated (treating her 3 times each day) raw/unpasteurized honey and an antibiotic ointment. I believe the honey was the real key for shrinking the prolapse. I used it generously and applied it 2ce each day…only after she was clean in that area and always prior to roosting. After one week I wasn’t even sure it was prolapse any more…but continued to treat her for a few more days with just the honey (when I saw the effects) to be certain she was well. I also think I caught it real early and started treating right away. I just wanted to tell you that in case it could help you with treating your hen. I sure hope she does well. I continue to keep a special watch over Tilly to make sure it doesn’t occur again. This is mating season and she is laying…so it is a bit of a worry. Let me know how your little one does and I will pray for her quick recovery. Thanks again.

Yes, I think the first few times i came on here with questions, they didn't get responses. Then i happen to luck out that someone replied, and they tagged some very knowledgeable members who jumped right in with helpful advice. Since then, I have learned to tag those members because I trust that they have my chickens wellbeing at heart. I feel guilty about it sometimes, so I don't do it unless I am at a complete loss or not confident in making the right decision. I worry about bombarding the same people over and over. I never want to take advantage of their wisdom and time. I appreciate your detailed process! I am happy to hear Tilly is recovering and thriving...she is very lucky to have you.❤️ I am still treating my girl, and I thank you for your prayers!!

Back
Top Bottom