Prolapse questions before treating

Pollogal1

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2024
About 2 days ago, I noticed my Narraganset hen, about one year old and laying, has a prolapse about the size of a walnut. I have been really sick the past few days and have only been able to handle cleaning her up a bit with warm water, applying theracyn to the area and a little vasoline around the prolapsed area. I have also separated her, changed her feed and withheld calcium (so if she does lay the egg shells are softer) and placed her in a darker area…to attempt stopping her from laying. But, I have been doing a lot of reading while sick and people seem to have very different ideas about how to treat. So, I have some questions before attempting to treat her further/differently now. Is preparation H something to be used to shrink the prolapse for a day or two before pushing it back in? Is pushing it back in really safe to do and is there a ‘knack’ to it? (I have watched a few videos and no one really explains how they are pushing). How do I treat her afterwards…still keep her isolated for a day or two more….longer? Also, I read that a walnut size or smaller prolapse can potentially clear itself up….is that true…and if it is true…how long do you wait? Thanks so much. I don’t want to lose my hen Tilly…she is such a sweet girl. (I tried to get pictures but could not…I will try again, but I am alone and can’t hold her and get a decent shot).

About 2 days ago, I noticed my Narraganset hen, about one year old and laying, has a prolapse about the size of a walnut. I have been really sick the past few days and have only been able to handle cleaning her up a bit with warm water, applying theracyn to the area and a little vasoline around the prolapsed area. I have also separated her, changed her feed and withheld calcium (so if she does lay the egg shells are softer) and placed her in a darker area…to attempt stopping her from laying. But, I have been doing a lot of reading while sick and people seem to have very different ideas about how to treat. So, I have some questions before attempting to treat her further/differently now. Is preparation H something to be used to shrink the prolapse for a day or two before pushing it back in? Is pushing it back in really safe to do and is there a ‘knack’ to it? (I have watched a few videos and no one really explains how they are pushing). How do I treat her afterwards…still keep her isolated for a day or two more….longer? Also, I read that a walnut size or smaller prolapse can potentially clear itself up….is that true…and if it is true…how long do you wait? Thanks so much. I don’t want to lose my hen Tilly…she is such a sweet girl. (I tried to get pictures but could not…I will try again, but I am alone and can’t hold her and get a decent shot).
Sorry about your hen. Unfortunately the prognosis for recovery is very poor.

I see a few issues with your train of thought - as well reasoned and intentioned as it was.
Calcium: calcium serves many physiological processes and not just building egg shells. It, along with other minerals like phosphorus is vital for the proper functioning of the oviduct, including the contractions during lay. I know the problem is prolapse but a soft shell is often the cause of egg binding which is an associated problem. A hard shell gives the muscles of the uterus something to push against to expel it. A soft shell egg just moves around and remains in the oviduct. Add to that, the fact that there is still enough calcium in the bloodstream and medullary bone to continue building egg shells for a surprisingly long time. All the time causing other problems, most notably depriving a hen producing eggs from new sources of calcium will continue to pull bone from its skeletal structure leading to rickets.
Furthermore, moving to a corn or all grain diet will also deprive the bird of necessary protein at this time not to mention other important trace minerals.
A better approach if you want her to not have to produce an egg shell is to force molt her. That primarily involves putting the bird in blackout housing until laying ceases. If done properly, it won't take long. Perhaps a week. That is quicker than removing calcium from the diet.
Force molting was a common practice for years in the egg industry. It was to take a flock (think millions of hens) that had begun to slow in their first lay cycle, cause them to all molt at once, rush them through the dearth of eggs and then after molt, resume a more natural light cycle causing all the birds to resume laying simultaneously.
In addition to dramatically decreasing the day length, they made dietary changes but off the top of my head I can't recall what those were. Personally, I was able to force molt small flocks simply with a day cycle change.
I don't know where you live, but I bet you are in the southern hemisphere since you have laying turkeys this close to winter solstice. Is that true?
I wouldn't think the prolapse could heal itself unless it gets pinched off, loses circulation, dies, dries up and falls off. That isn't as awful as it sounds. That kind of thing happens a lot in poultry and the animal world in general.
I hope all this helps and gives food for thought.

Sorry about your hen. Unfortunately the prognosis for recovery is very poor.
Thanks…kind of a ‘glass 1/2 full’ person though. And I have to try…so can you offer me any help/answers in an effort to save her based on your experience?

I see a few issues with your train of thought - as well reasoned and intentioned as it was.
Calcium: calcium serves many physiological processes and not just building egg shells. It, along with other minerals like phosphorus is vital for the proper functioning of the oviduct, including the contractions during lay. I know the problem is prolapse but a soft shell is often the cause of egg binding which is an associated problem. A hard shell gives the muscles of the uterus something to push against to expel it. A soft shell egg just moves around and remains in the oviduct. Add to that, the fact that there is still enough calcium in the bloodstream and medullary bone to continue building egg shells for a surprisingly long time. All the time causing other problems, most notably depriving a hen producing eggs from new sources of calcium will continue to pull bone from its skeletal structure leading to rickets.
Furthermore, moving to a corn or all grain diet will also deprive the bird of necessary protein at this time not to mention other important trace minerals.
A better approach if you want her to not have to produce an egg shell is to force molt her. That primarily involves putting the bird in blackout housing until laying ceases. If done properly, it won't take long. Perhaps a week. That is quicker than removing calcium from the diet.
Force molting was a common practice for years in the egg industry. It was to take a flock (think millions of hens) that had begun to slow in their first lay cycle, cause them to all molt at once, rush them through the dearth of eggs and then after molt, resume a more natural light cycle causing all the birds to resume laying simultaneously.
In addition to dramatically decreasing the day length, they made dietary changes but off the top of my head I can't recall what those were. Personally, I was able to force molt small flocks simply with a day cycle change.
I don't know where you live, but I bet you are in the southern hemisphere since you have laying turkeys this close to winter solstice. Is that true?
I wouldn't think the prolapse could heal itself unless it gets pinched off, loses circulation, dies, dries up and falls off. That isn't as awful as it sounds. That kind of thing happens a lot in poultry and the animal world in general.
I hope all this helps and gives food for thought.
Thanks…great information. Rethinking the calcium of course…and diet. My intention was to continue my course for a few days, but maybe not the best idea. I know this is not a good situation for her, but still wondering if it’s a ‘nature take its’ course’ thing or if pushing it back in is smarter. I live in East TN…so her laying is a bit unusual this time of year. I have another girl that is laying too.

Given an option, I'd follow advice from @R2elk regarding turkeys.

That said, from what I've learned about prolapse and similar maladies whether cloacal, vaginal or rectal in all species is to use lubrication and push it back in. It sometimes requires a suture or two. I know a number of people have used Preparation H but even Vaseline will work after carefully cleaning the affected area. I wouldn't hesitate to use any product delivering lubrication as long as I wasn't introducing bacteria from a dirty environment.

Given an option, I'd follow advice from @R2elk regarding turkeys.

That said, from what I've learned about prolapse and similar maladies whether cloacal, vaginal or rectal in all species is to use lubrication and push it back in. It sometimes requires a suture or two. I know a number of people have used Preparation H but even Vaseline will work after carefully cleaning the affected area. I wouldn't hesitate to use any product delivering lubrication as long as I wasn't introducing bacteria from a dirty environment.
Thank you.

Ok. Thanks for that. Does your experience also involve veterinarian intervention? Taking her has crossed my mind….but I will be worried about the expense and success rate in that instance too.
Taking her to a vet will be very expensive. It will likely involve suturing the prolapse in place and may require the implant that prevents egg laying. After all of that there is no guarantee that she will survive.

Sorry about your situation.

Back
Top Bottom