Prolapse Uterus - help!


7 Years
Sep 11, 2014
We are new owners. We have three chickens, about 24 weeks. Two have started laying fine, but one of them, Sunshine, hadn't. She's a late bloomer so we didn't worry too much. Then she started getting a poopy tush. Today we cleaned it off and I noticed that her vent was sort of contracting, I figured it was the way we were holding her (maybe she thought we were a rooster kind of thing) then this evening when we went to put the girls away, she had an egg, literally hanging from her backside covered with her (uterus?) and skin. Upside crying chicken mommy calmed herself down, then I brought her in and wet it and used vaseline to roll the vent back and get the egg out, but she had a small tear. I then soaked her in the sink with warm water and epsom salt for about twenty minutes and cleaned everything. All her "parts" receded, but they are very bright red. I wasn't sure if I should push things back all the way or not, it is still very red and puffy. I treated with neosporin and she is sleeping inside in a box. We made it dark to prevent her from laying again tomorrow. We are not sure if this was her first egg or not, but it was a big one. We did have a big egg about a week ago, a double yoke. She just started doing "the squat" so I think it may have been her first, but I'm not sure. Is their anything else I should do? Will the tear in her duct heal? Can I buy over the counter anti-biotic? I'm afraid she'll get an infection inside. She has access to oyster shells and always has fresh water. I'll be heart broken if she doesn't make it. She's the sweetest thing and even jumps up on my lap for petting.

I posted this last night (accidentally in the new people section) and several folks suggested I re-post here.

She is doing ok this morning - acting sore and who can blame her? but eating and drinking and pooping.
I'm off to get Preparation H and anti-biotic (I think they have it at the farmers co-op)
Does anyone know how long I should give it? A week or 10 days?
You seemed to do everything that I would have done. I would probably just use a liberal amount of neosporin, and try to put some inside the vent if it might coat the torn spot, and also usethe Prep H ointment. Most antibiotics from the feed store are more for respiratory illnesses. If you could get something from your vet such as amoxicillin or something stronger, that might help, but the tear may not get infected, hopefully. Sorry that you didn't get a response earlier.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom