Prolapse vent in New Chick!

Smashley24

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
A few questions! We just got 6 six yesterday from our local feed store. Once we got them home, I noticed one had a crusty caked bum and upon closer inspection a prolapsed vent. Went straight here and read through the threads I could find on it. Hubs tried gently pushing it back in, but it popped right back out within 5 minutes. We’ve been putting Vaseline on it, keeping her separated, cleaning it when needed, etc. Any chance it will resolve on its own? She’s just under a week old, I believe.
Also do I need to just leave her be as much as possible, or is in okay to tuck her carefully into my shirt to keep her from being super lonely and crying?

Can you try putting her back with the others for company? Keep her vent moist with vaseline or hydrocortisone cream. Or I would give her some tiny pieces of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces. Is she eating and drinking? What is the temperature in your brooder?

Can you try putting her back with the others for company? Keep her vent moist with vaseline or hydrocortisone cream. Or I would give her some tiny pieces of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces. Is she eating and drinking? What is the temperature in your brooder?
Sorry for the lack of response, she passed.

Back
Top Bottom