Prolapse vent in new duckling??

Ugh. How’s the duckling doing now?
I agree with the others, it doesn’t look good. But I’m also wondering if maybe it’s just some of the normal waste that usually remains in the egg after hatch, that just happened to stay attached to the bit of unabsorbed yolk. The belly doesn’t look too bad, so I’m a bit confused. If the baby is surviving, I’d try to determine if all of that gunk should have been absorbed, or if it was partial waste. Is it all connected?
I thought this too, its pretty confusing to look at and figure out exactly whats what. I dont see any intestines but it is a bit of a mess.
Hopefully part of this is just hatching debris.

@AshleyNicole06 was this baby an assisted hatch? How long ago did he hatch, and how is he doing now, still alert?

Ugh. How’s the duckling doing now?
I agree with the others, it doesn’t look good. But I’m also wondering if maybe it’s just some of the normal waste that usually remains in the egg after hatch, that just happened to stay attached to the bit of unabsorbed yolk. The belly doesn’t look too bad, so I’m a bit confused. If the baby is surviving, I’d try to determine if all of that gunk should have been absorbed, or if it was partial waste. Is it all connected?
It looked better thus AM

He's otherwise a normal hatchling with instincts to communicate with its mama duck. The problem is the defect is not compatible with survival. He will fade as he cannot absorb food through a
20220810_074024.jpg
Looks better this morning.

It looks like the waste from the bottom of the egg in the one pic
The other pic looks like part of a yolk sac with the waste above it
I’m bookbinder to cross my fingers that this is just the waste from bottom of the egg as it will dry and fall off
Is there a back story
Did baby hatch himself like this ? Or was it an assisted hatch that still had yolk ?
These kind of things will help as if baby hatched himself and was in his egg to long this could be the gunk and waste at bottom of the egg
Because it’s a lot I would also check babies bum to make sure his vent is clear from any gunk that could cause him pasty butt issues as well
I posted a new pic on here.

Posted a new pic from this morning!! Looking better.
I hope New duck mommy 2021 is correct that the sac contained waste from the bottom of the egg. It certainly looked like intestines in your earlier photos.
Now that the yolk is being absorbed [and feeding the duckling] the sac does look smaller and the "intenstines" are no longer visible.

I'm also rooting for this little one.
Good luck: keep her quiet and clean where she cannot be pecked by the other ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom