Prolapse vent in new duckling??

Pics
Can you post pics now ?
We are rooting for him and you
20220810_074024.jpg

Hi everyone! I need some help!
I think my newly hatched duckling has a prolapse vent??
How do i know that's what it is?
What can I do?
Did you assist the hatch? Looks like the yolk sac ruptured, and perhaps caused a hernia- I hope it isn't as bad as it seems, but sadly agree with ruthhope has said. :(
I wouldn't be too hopeful, if I'm being honest. But put the little one in a cup lined/cushioned with dry clean paper towels to prevent him from moving around and making it worse, and put the cup in the incubator.
Keep him warm and comfortable and see what happens.
You mentioned he is alert, I would perhaps try to get some strength into him, since the yolk sac is basically gone. Maybe offer him some electrolytes? You could mix some lightly cooked egg yolk, with some sugar water. I'm not sure what else to suggest here. But make sure he stays in the cup in the warmth.
@WVduckchick @New duck mommy 2021

Ugh. How’s the duckling doing now?
I agree with the others, it doesn’t look good. But I’m also wondering if maybe it’s just some of the normal waste that usually remains in the egg after hatch, that just happened to stay attached to the bit of unabsorbed yolk. The belly doesn’t look too bad, so I’m a bit confused. If the baby is surviving, I’d try to determine if all of that gunk should have been absorbed, or if it was partial waste. Is it all connected?

It looks like the waste from the bottom of the egg in the one pic
The other pic looks like part of a yolk sac with the waste above it
I’m bookbinder to cross my fingers that this is just the waste from bottom of the egg as it will dry and fall off
Is there a back story
Did baby hatch himself like this ? Or was it an assisted hatch that still had yolk ?
These kind of things will help as if baby hatched himself and was in his egg to long this could be the gunk and waste at bottom of the egg
Because it’s a lot I would also check babies bum to make sure his vent is clear from any gunk that could cause him pasty butt issues as well

Glad to see it’s looking much better! Is the duckling active? Does it have mom/siblings?
I think you could safely clip some of that off, at least the part that looks dried up. I would be afraid of it getting caught on something, and pulling it, before it’s totally healed up. And the more that is hanging out, the slower it will dry up.
F8B66174-FEC9-4915-88CE-CE3BD3240741.jpeg

Do you see if he has been having a poo
The most common reason is blocked vent by the goo or poo
This can be deadly if not caught but easy to fix if blocked
Use warm water and rub gently till it loosens and clears
Baby will usually have a big poo all over right after so be careful
Little love passed yesterday morning. Not sure why, he was up and playing the night before. 😞

Back
Top Bottom