Week old ducklings going with newly hatched ducklings?

I would not house both ducks and chicks together. When they are grown up the ducks will think the chickens are their own species and same with the chickens and the ducks. It will cause major issues when they reach sexual maturity and try to mate with one another. Which when a male ducks tries to mate with a chicken he can kill her.

I would not house both ducks and chicks together. When they are grown up the ducks will think the chickens are their own species and same with the chickens and the ducks. It will cause major issues when they reach sexual maturity and try to mate with one another. Which when a male ducks tries to mate with a chicken he can kill her.
I’ve heard of this happening even without introducing as chicks. I think drakes will mate with anything they can no matter what… I guess it’s up to OP whether or not they’re sure they have drakes and if they would get rid of those drakes if they had some. I would not house drakes with hens in whatever circumstance but I see no issue if all ducks and chickens were female

Plus, chicks grow no more than ***make that 50%*** 40% a week, except around week 6. Ducklings double the first week, then double that again the second week, double the third week etc. so 2-week old ducklings are 6 times as big as when hatched---too much size difference, even worse than putting cornish-x with regular chicks. Plus the ducklings can handle more drastic temperature reductions more quickly than chicks. And all that water....

Back
Top Bottom