Prolapse with a XXL translucent shell-less soft egg?

Chickiee

Songster
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
Jackson, WI (Southeast WI)
Hi Everyone,
This is what is going on... my 1 1/2 year old Leghorn, Evelyn, was not acting quite right this afternoon. Not moving too much, laying around, not going into coop on her own at dusk. She's usually the hunter of the flock catching mice and frogs. My hubby put her in the coop tonite. I checked on the coop with a flashlight and she was panting and not roosting. I had Hubby bring her in the house, and I ran a warm sink for her to soak in. It looked like prolapse to me (never saw it before, but about an inch of internal pinkness was sticking out. As the water was running and we talked to her gently, liquid began to drip from her prolapse area and out popped a (for her) huge soft shell-less egg. It measures 3 inches long and fairly wide, bigger than a duck egg. It is translucent with dark areas and red areas inside... and a yellow spot which I'm guessing would be yolk(?). As soon as this soft weird egg thing popped out, the prolapsed part started going back inside. Is the soft egg related to the prolapse or are two different things going on? She was pretty dirty on the behind so we proceeded to soak her, which surprisingly she didn't mind and started closing her eyes. It was past her bedtime. She has been dried and put back in the coop. Everyone in there is sleeping. What should our next step be? Besides obviously watching her closely, should she be on a certain diet? Separate her from the flock? Tomorrow morning we will check her behind again and wash her more.
Thanks for any direction you can provide!

Ok, thanks! Is there a way to trim the feathers near her behind so the feces is not sticking, or is that not part of the problem? Her behind was just so dirty. We're about to check on her now...

Oh no! We just checked the coop and Evelyn has died. The pinkish part that was sticking out before laying the soft translucent egg yesterday is protruding out again about a 1/2 inch. Thank you for your help. :'(

Sorry for your loss. I would check inside her vent to see if there was another egg stuck. This happens too often unfortunately with hens who are bred for high egg production. Leghorns are some of the best layers.

Back
Top Bottom