Prolapse (?)

fi_karbs

Hatching
Feb 11, 2023
Hi all! We’re new to all of this and seeking some advice, please. Our girl was in her laying box in the cold dark night last night and when I found her there, it looked like she had just laid an egg without a shell (yolk and “white” was under her, still intact) Her vent was (and still is) pink and bulging, no blood. But there’s also what seems to be the soft shell, attached/stuck and quite shriveled (but seems to have a little liquid in it)

She had a soak this am, she’s drinking water and had some calcium, and is eating okay. She only seems comfortable standing. She is separated from the flock.

What are next steps as we continue to do our best for her? Thank you!

Attachments

• 0F184153-F489-4FE8-A1B2-7E0371D793CF.jpeg
    0F184153-F489-4FE8-A1B2-7E0371D793CF.jpeg
    449.1 KB · Views: 9
Hi all! We’re new to all of this and seeking some advice, please. Our girl was in her laying box in the cold dark night last night and when I found her there, it looked like she had just laid an egg without a shell (yolk and “white” was under her, still intact) Her vent was (and still is) pink and bulging, no blood. But there’s also what seems to be the soft shell, attached/stuck and quite shriveled (but seems to have a little liquid in it)

She had a soak this am, she’s drinking water and had some calcium, and is eating okay. She only seems comfortable standing. She is separated from the flock.

What are next steps as we continue to do our best for her? Thank you!
Do you have any Calcium Citrate Tablets to offer? The extra calcium will help her push the egg stuff out.

I’d keep her in a warm area that’s kind of dim for a day (24 hours). Warm helps relax muscles, and dim helps delay the egg cycle.

Is the slight protrusion of flesh still there? You can (latex glove or not) lube up a finger really well with Vaseline and gently push/tuck that protrusion back inside. Work the lube a little bit around, and you might be able to gently pull the rest of that membrane out???

In 14 yrs of keeping chickens, I’ve only ever dealt with one prolapse, and I was unable to correct it (my girl’s was much more severe though, and she was a tiny serama, so harder to correct). But MANY are correctable.

Do you have any Calcium Citrate Tablets to offer? The extra calcium will help her push the egg stuff out.
Yes thank you! Last night I got her to take a small amount of a Tums (all we had in the cabinet) and today got the calcium citrate at the store and got her to take some of it too. So far she’s maintaining and she’ll soak again tonight when I get home.

I’d keep her in a warm area that’s kind of dim for a day (24 hours). Warm helps relax muscles, and dim helps delay the egg cycle.

Is the slight protrusion of flesh still there? You can (latex glove or not) lube up a finger really well with Vaseline and gently push/tuck that protrusion back inside. Work the lube a little bit around, and you might be able to gently pull the rest of that membrane out???

In 14 yrs of keeping chickens, I’ve only ever dealt with one prolapse, and I was unable to correct it (my girl’s was much more severe though, and she was a tiny serama, so harder to correct). But MANY are correctable.
Perfect, thanks so much for this advice! I was able to move her inside and the light is off in the laundry room (warmer and dark) for the relaxation suggestion.

I will get some Vaseline and attempt gently pushing on the protrusion again.

Does this white membrane “thing” like like a soft egg shell to you? She typically makes very big eggs so maybe her cycle just got thrown off.

Really appreciate the advice!

I found her there, it looked like she had just laid an egg without a shell (yolk and “white” was under her, still intact) Her vent was (and still is) pink and bulging, no blood. But there’s also what seems to be the soft shell, attached/stuck and quite shriveled (but seems to have a little liquid in it)
You removed the membrane right or is it still hanging out of the vent?
If the soft shelled membrane is still there, then you'll want to gently help her remove/expel it. Don't pull hard, but help time it with her contractions/pushing and help pull that membrane out. IF it seems dried or stuck to the vent tissue, then lubricate with a bit of coconut oil, mineral oil, KY Jelly, etc. to see if it will come out. You want to get the membrane out, but not pull more tissue from the vent.

Then take photos. IF there's still red tissue protruding from the vent after the membrane is all out, then you'll want to treat as prolapse.
IF she's not lethargic, then soaking in a warm epsom salts bath can help reduce swelling, if she's lethargic, then don't soak and place her in steamed up bathroom or on a heating pad set on low. She does need to be able to move off the heating pad.
Make sure she's staying hydrated and get that extra calcium into her. Calcium is what she needs. You can give Calcium Citrate or Calcium Carbonate(TUMS) whatever you have.

IF she has protruding red tissue after the membrane is out and the tissue will not go back in due to swelling, etc. keep that tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, etc. You don't want it to dry out.

Definitely don't pull, no way of knowing how far in it is. Calcium citrate is best with these type of situations. Do you have access to aqua mox? If she retained any egg yolk she could get an infection. Aqua mox heals it quickly

Perfect, thanks so much for this advice! I was able to move her inside and the light is off in the laundry room (warmer and dark) for the relaxation suggestion.

I will get some Vaseline and attempt gently pushing on the protrusion again.

Does this white membrane “thing” like like a soft egg shell to you? She typically makes very big eggs so maybe her cycle just got thrown off.

Really appreciate the advice!
Yes, it looks like egg membrane/soft shell to me.

I am just so grateful to you all for replying with encouragement and advice! Managing this was scary and worrisome… but having this community support was amazing! The coconut oil for massaging and the warmth of the soak plus isolation from the others for a couple of days has seemed to work wonders. She seems mostly like her old self and we are hopeful her pooping and egg laying is returning to normal. Again - a huge thank you for your support in helping us through this!!

Back
Top Bottom