Prolapsed and Egg-Bound, any hope?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sonny42408, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Sonny42408

Sonny42408 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    This afternoon when I was feeding the chickens, I noticed that 2 of my hens were acting strangely, with one very lethargic and the other had a Huge mass protruding from her vent. After Goggling the symptoms & reading various sites, I have come to the conclusion, that they may be Egg-Bound with the second hen suffering from a Prolapsed oviduct. Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed from here with any competent therapies, or is euthanasia my only option?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I think I read something about using preparation H for prolapse but why not do a search on here , I am sure this topic has been addressed before. Anyone?

3. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    ─Žal Luqa, Malta
    Yes, here in Europe we have Anacal ointment for haemorrhoids and recently we cured one of our hens with it who had prolapsed. Do a search on "prolapse" here on the forum, you will find some amazing results. I followed what other people had done, the honey didn't help us though so we switched to Anacal (instead of the PrepH) twice a day (morning and before bed) plus bathed her before applying the ointment - I made lukewarm camomile bath for her (from the tea sachets) and held her bottom in it for at least 5-10 minutes. At first the mass was always sticking out and even hardened/dried up after the first day and then two, but on the third day after bathing the "crust" started to come off a little. I didn't tear off anything, just put more ointment and let her back into her crate (without trying to push the mass in again), but I saw it was shrinking every day. On day 4 or 5 it went in completely by itself right afther a bath and applying ointment.

I don't know anything yet about the other problem so I either do a search or wait for someone else to respond.

Good luck to your chickies.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by