Prolapsed Duck Vent!

lauranickerson

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Kingsley, MI
I have no idea how long it has been like this, because my 4 Pekins all seem totally healthy and happy, but I went out today to watch my flock, and noticed one of the males had something going on down by the vent area.
It sort of looked like the feathers were missing and the vent was just red, but when I picked him up, it was a little worse than I thought.
I almost thought it was his intestines or something, but I looked closer and it's a prolapse. It's pretty swollen/hard. I didn't try to put it back in because I wasn't sure that was the right thing to do. All the feathers near the vent are wet and sticky, too.

I took their pool away a couple weeks ago because 1, it was dirty and I planned on scrubbing it, and 2, I have 1 female and 3 males, and they all get along fine, but I read that they could drown her in the pool, and I didn't want that happening. I plan on rehoming two males, but no one seems interested.

The biggest part of the prolapse is maybe the size of an apricot.

What should I do?

I have a couple pictures if anyone needs to see them.

Also, I'm not sure if every duck does this or if it's related, but one of my ducks (never paid attention to which one, but it's one of the males) does this weird thing like he hiccups and farts at the same time. I had ducks as a kid, but don't really remember that. Is that normal?

I have never had one of my male ducks get prolapse, but I have managed to treat it when my chicken got it. If you have caught it early enough you may be able to fix it. I would imagine you could find a tutorial for that on here or youtube?
The most important thing is to keep it clean and lubricated.

As for the hiccup thing, some of my muscovies do that when they see something they don't like, or the other boys, I don't think they fart when they do it though, what kind of ducks are you talking about?

They are Pekins. They (he) makes a noise where it sounds like he hiccups and farts, maybe a reverse fart?, like air coming in? It's weird. Maybe it's the same one with this problem. I just can't really tell them apart most of the time so I never paid attention to which one it was.

Back
Top Bottom