Prolapsed Vent Advice

yellowputty

Chirping
Jun 4, 2019
Exeter, UK
A couple of nights ago when I was putting the hens to bed, I noticed that one of our lovely girls (Amica) was being pecked on the backside. When I woke up the next day, I discovered she has a very bare backside (no fluffy butt!) and what looked like a partially prolapsed vent (maybe less than half an inch). She also has white 'stuff' on her backside. Based on that informed I assumed she has a swollen vent and probably had vent gleet (although she didn't smell that bad). I isolated her from the flock and spent some time with her, washing her carefully and applying some anti-fungal cream. She seemed fine in herself - eating, drinking and exploring. She was also pooping on her own. I gently pushed in the vent such that it was normal but it came out again very easily after a few minutes. That evening when I tried to push back in the prolapsed vent, I was unable to do so as there was an egg inside. I left her, but later that evening the ended up with a full prolapse - i.e. the egg was outside the body, but still within her reproductive lining. She was in such pain, and tired. I helped her onto her side and carefully helped the large egg out. Our girl has always laid large eggs (and frequently) and I have concerns this is causing the problem.

That evening she was exhausted, so I took her inside. I think she slept well and in the morning I bathed her again in the bathtub. We applied some anti-inflammatory cream around her vent. She seemed very happy - eating, drinking and very perky. To avoid egg induced prolapse I reduced her food and keep her in the dark (or as dark as can be in our porch). When I went to check on her later this morning, she was nestled down looking very happy with herself. I checked her over and she still has the same half inch prolapsed vent. Unbelievably at that point I noticed she had laid another egg! This one has presumably not caused her any problems, which was a great relief.

Is it possible to receive some advice as to the next steps? I am under no illusion that the outlook is not fantastic, however I have read multiple accounts of prolapses that have been healed. Besides the incident last night with the egg, the prolapse is very small. She appears to pass stool by herself (although I noticed when I push it back in she almost always defecates... maybe this is just a normal reaction). I have read all sorts about using Prep H, Sugar, Honey, doing nothing... and just as many advising not to do those things!

Thanks for any advice.

The main thing with a prolapse, is to not let that red internal tissue dry out, or it can become dried out and necrotic (dead.) Using any lubricant can help, but honey, sugar syrup, are non-toxic and will help reduce swelling. Others such as coconut oil, vaseline, or olive oil, can lubricate well. When keeping them in darkness for 16 hours a day to stop laying, it can take 3-4 days sometimes. Here is some reading about prolapsed vent or cloaca:
http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avian-cloacal-prolapses-proceedings

https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Thank you Eggcessive. The day I first saw it the tissue was already unfortunately dark and hardened. I am hoping it is a scab which will eventually heal with frequent baths and a constant moistening of the vent area. On your advice I have been applying honey to the area.

I have two primary concerns at the moment:

1. What is the best way to remove the dark (scabbed/necrotic) tissue. Soak frequently and leave to heal on its own? Or try and forcibly remove it?

2. I am concerned that she frequently (in fact, always) poops when I try to replace the prolapse by inserting my finger. I'm hoping this doesn't imply a blockage. There is stool in her cage which indicates she has passed on her own.

Can you post some photos?

I've done my best below, but it's a little dark here now so I'll try to improve in daylight hours. I'm guessing the creamy white is her urates - she doesn't really smell so I dismissed vent gleet. I presume that the dark brown tissue is scabbed from the other hens pecking it.

Thank you again.

20190807_204217.jpg

A quick update. We bathed Amica tonight for a long time. I swaddled her in a towel as she does not enjoy being in the water, and this seemed to calm her down while I held her to soak for at least 20 minutes. My wife carefully felt around the vent and very slowly managed to peel quite a bit of the hard brown “scab” away which I was very relieved about. When pulled away, it left behind nice pink fleshy vent! We disinfected the vent area, applied honey and then returned the prolapse. After drying off, she went back to the cage and managed to pass two lots of stool on her own. The prolapse returned, but we expected this. There is still hard material to remove and I don’t think we can expect the prolapsed vent to stay put while that remains. Hopefully I can keep the vent moist tomorrow and then remove more of it during bath time. It’s a long , patient and messy process but there is some glimmer of hope I think.

It sounds like you really are doing your best, especially trying to soften and debride or remove the dead tissue. It sometimes dries up and falls off, but the once a day soak in Epsom salts or soapy water for about 30 minutes, followed by a little scrubbing with a rag is the best way to handle it. You can put some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it, or just vaseline to help soften it between soaks. Keep us posted on her progress.

It sounds like you really are doing your best, especially trying to soften and debride or remove the dead tissue. It sometimes dries up and falls off, but the once a day soak in Epsom salts or soapy water for about 30 minutes, followed by a little scrubbing with a rag is the best way to handle it. You can put some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment on it, or just vaseline to help soften it between soaks. Keep us posted on her progress.

We're definitely trying! This is day 3. She was very perky today (she seems happy and healthy otherwise) and therefore put up quite a fight at bath time which she doesn't enjoy. I made sure the exposed/protruding inner vent was well moistened during the day (vaseline on your recommendation). To my dismay (given our lack of light for her) she laid another egg which had a small amount of blood on it. I used the anti-septic spray to clean her vent after this and she seemed fine otherwise. During bath time in the evening, we managed to remove yet more scabbed/necrotic tissue which is another step forward.

I am concerned about two things at the moment. The first is that the prolapse does not stay in for long, after it is replaced. It make me wonder how we will get this to happen permanently when fully healed. I am hoping that it simply doesn't remain in its correct place at the moment due to the hardened tissue that probably makes her body think it is a stool to pass (and so pushes it out). The second concern is that although she has been much better at defecating on her own today, she has passed an awful lot of completely clear 'liquid' poop(?) which doesn't smell at all. It's true that her poop should be more liquidy because she's had less to eat generally, and what she has eaten has had a high water content, but I'm not quite sure what this is. Is it urates? I always thought the urate was white, not clear.

Back
Top Bottom