prolapsed vent and secretions

idlingwild

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Manomet
From constant scanning and other member's posts I determined that my 6 mo. old cochin had a prolapsed vent about a week ago. Upon discovery, I had to peel back hardened membrane and lots of white yeasty goo. I have since cleaned many times the extruding vent and now twice preparation h'd it and reinserted it. It seems to be getting better each time. However there remains this ongoing, yeast like secretion ( you know the yogurt or cottage cheese like stuff) and lessening brown, hardened goo I liken to a scab.

We have her separated, on a mash diet and minimal light so she won't lay until she is healed. I am brand spanking new to the world of raising chickens and could use whatever advice people have...thank you

welcome-byc.gif

Sure sounds like you have researched the subject and are doing a good job! I hope somebody with experience with a prolapsed vent can give you more advice!

We had that with one of our pullets. She didn't make it two days. I would say keep it clean and moist (K-Y) and keep trying to get it back up there. Sounds like you are doing a good job already. Keep it up and I'm sure she'll be fine.
thumbsup.gif

We had a hen with a prolapsed vent about 3 months ago. Much like you I am very new (since March) to having chickens. The resources on this sight helped tremendously!

Here's what we did - and it worked - Betsy is alive and thriving and laying eggs as well!

We gave her a warm water bath to get all the ickiness off her backside. My husband held her while I gloved up and used the prep H. I had to keep my hand in there for about 5 minutes - until she stopped trying to "poop" my hand out. When we were finished we KY'd the rim, stuck her in our Great Dane's dog kennel and covered her up with blankets so it was dark. We fed her minimal amounts of feed but a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. We also added electrolytes to her water. She was not happy being in the cage (crowed all day long) but she didn't lay for the week we had her in there. After one week with no "ickiness" stuck to her bum we let her rejoin the flock. I really didn't care if she ever laid another egg, I was just happy to have her alive. She has thrived since then and we have not had any other problems.

Hope your hen gets better - I know it's stressful when you feel like you don't know how to help!

Thank you for the help and the well wishing...I think the prolapsed vent will heal but I am unclear on these secretions and if it is a yeast infection than that will hinder her healing process as well. Should I worry? Or (hopefully) these secretions are normal and in fact a part of her healing...wishful thinking I'm afraid. Unfortunately I really am not supposed to be in such close contact with my hens while I struggle with my own cancer battle so I am quite anxious to get on with it. My local farmers would have her in the pot already and I am not sure I am ready for that yet; she is everyone's favorite and so calm and pleasant even when we are manhandling her!

I just noticed your post about the prolapsed vent. My hen had that a few months ago, & I have put the info on my experience on this website.

My hen had a little bit of the secretion you mentioned, but it was summer & I was able to gently hose it off in the yard every day. It must have been just normal "gooeyness" because there was never a bad smell or any other problem. She got thru it fine & it has never come back. I was afraid she'd have a tendency to have a problem again, but fortunately no.

Be very glad you noticed so early! Hope it all turns out well!

I just had a hen with a proloapse and everyone on this site was amazing with their support and help. I actually thought I'd have to put her down... but didn't have the heart to do it, and she recovered and is back with the flock. Here is what we did:

cleaned off area, put ky and prp h on it every day, several times a day until it got better and kept her in a seperate kennel by herself on a limited diet. To help prevent infection we had her on antibiotics from the feed store. She doesn't lay anymore, and that is ok... we too were just happy to have her alive and cooing
smile.png

Good luck to you, hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom