Prolapsed vent - chicken screaming

limiz

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Estonia
Last Sunday we discovered that one of our chickens has a prolapsed vent. We have done everything we could find online to heal her, incl. we put her in the dark, we are giving her vitamins, wash her bottom daily etc. It is now a lot better than 4 days ago, but the prolapse is still there. We also tried to push it in, but it comes out again immediately.

Since the beginning she has made a sound like she is in a lot of pain. She screams and then is quiet, screams again etc. Initially we thought that it’s very painful and it would get better, but it seems like she screams now more often.

I have read through countless of articles covering prolapsed vent, but none of them mention that the chicken makes these agonizing sounds. Is it normal for chicken with prolapsed vent? Is there something more wrong with her? The only thing that we could think of is that perhaps she has an egg stuck, but when we touch and observe her, it doesn’t seem like there is an egg..

Thank you!

Hello! Have you been giving her Epsom salt baths? You need to bring the inflammation down before the prolapse can go back in. Also, once she's bathed spray her vent with vetericyn spray, put honey on it too keep it moist and give her a calcium citrate tablet.

Hello! Have you been giving her Epsom salt baths? You need to bring the inflammation down before the prolapse can go back in. Also, once she's bathed spray her vent with vetericyn spray, put honey on it too keep it moist and give her a calcium citrate tablet.
We have given her regular warm water baths since Epsom is not immediately available where we live (you need to order it). After bath, we have covered the area with honey and also coconut oil. Today I brought hydrocortisone cream, which was also recommended in one forum. Unfortunately, vetericyn is not available where we live. We have given her hardboiled egg mixed with yoghurt and fish oil and water with probiotics (it's a powder, so we mix it with water). We have also given her multivitamins for chicken. The swelling has reduced every day, just the screaming is increasing and we don't know whether this is caused by the vent still hurting, an egg stuck in the vent or something else.

Does your area have a health food store? Can you get magnesium oil? What about calcium citrate?
This is the first time I have heard of calcium citrate, but I checked the websites of local pharmacies and they have it, so yes, I can bring that. Unfortunately I can't find magnesium oil, but there are pills which I can crush.

Calcium citrate is the key to treating vent prolapse. Get some as quickly as you can and give her at least 550mg per day until the prolapse resolves.

Prolapse is caused by an obstruction. Her body is trying to expel it. It may be an egg, a collapsed egg or other tissue. The calcium citrate works quickly to encourage contractions so she can expel it.

We have given her regular warm water baths since Epsom is not immediately available where we live (you need to order it). After bath, we have covered the area with honey and also coconut oil. Today I brought hydrocortisone cream, which was also recommended in one forum. Unfortunately, vetericyn is not available where we live. We have given her hardboiled egg mixed with yoghurt and fish oil and water with probiotics (it's a powder, so we mix it with water). We have also given her multivitamins for chicken. The swelling has reduced every day, just the screaming is increasing and we don't know whether this is caused by the vent still hurting, an egg stuck in the vent or something else.
There is most likely a major reason why she prolapsed to begin with and will highly likely do it again if she survives this round.

What are you feeding on a daily basis?

Back
Top Bottom