Prolapsed vent??? HELP!

Ah, success! Giving a calcium supplement immediately upon suspecting a hen is having trouble passing an egg almost always produces results, sometimes very quickly.

However, I caution not to assume she's finished. Sometimes the cause of a stuck egg is another egg, usually shell-less wrapped in only a membrane, traveling down the reproductive track close behind the first egg. Continue to monitor her.

If she's clear and no more eggs are clogging up her works, she will behave like a chicken reborn, happy, free, and back to the business at hand. On the other hand, if she has another egg to get out, she will continue to behave in a lethargic manner, usually holding her tail flat and low due to pain and discomfort. Another calcium tablet is then in order along with moist heat to relax laying muscles.

Thanks! I’ve been watching her closely. So far seems to be back to her normal self. I won’t assume she’s all good until I know for sure though. :)

Also can I give calcium regularly as almost a supplement? They always have oyster shells at their disposal, but would it hurt to mix it in with their feed as a precaution?

No, you don't want to mix calcium with the feed, as that would prevent a hen from regulating her individual calcium needs.

Long term use of calcium supplements isn't advisable as that can lead to kidney and liver problems. Also, stuffing a laying hen with calcium supplements can cause very bumpy egg shells as the excess calcium ends up as deposits on the egg.

It's okay to give a calcium supplement for several days in a row if you suspect reproductive issues. But as soon as the hen is behaving normally again, stop the calcium and leave her to help herself to oyster shell as she needs it.

Okay perfect thank you!

I do feel as though she has a funny stance. She’s got her head tucked in and chest pushed out (crop is empty) I’ve attached a photo here of how she’s standing. It’s also -5 (-30 with the windchill) here in Michigan though so she could just be cold. She is walking around eating and pecking, though. But moving pretty slowly around. The other girls are starting to peck her a bit and push her around. With that said though she’s always been really friendly and docile in comparison to my other birds, so it’s hard to tell.

Still pumping her vent, here’s a video of that as well (sorry bad quality I tried lol). She’s still really red and swollen.

Attachments

• 722C2560-E0CE-4529-80D6-6A54B030E188.jpeg
    722C2560-E0CE-4529-80D6-6A54B030E188.jpeg
    530.6 KB · Views: 8
Here’s another video.

The other girls have started to pick a few of her feathers so it’s not looking very good back there but like I said she appears to be acting normal.

It might be a good idea to slip her another calcium tab and keep an eye on her. Be ready to give her another round of moist heat if she begins to act like she's struggling to pass something. Keep watch for a collapsed membrane to appear in the run. It will most likely be from this hen, and it could signal the crisis is over if she's acting relieved and happy.

Alright, thank you so so much again. I honestly have no idea what I would do without this wonderous forum lol.

Gave her more calcium, and hung out to make sure she is still pooping. Her pooped appeared 100% normal today, so I hope that’s also a good sign. Will monitor her for the next few days. :)

Hi! So another update...
As you can see from the photo the other girls are really pecking out her rear end feathers. I’ve watched them do it and it doesn’t seem to bother her all that much but I’m worried that 1) they will keep going till she has nothing left and 2) her little exposed bottom will get frostbit. Comparing to the videos you can see how much they have taken off.

So my question is, should I separate her? And if so, would it be best to bring her in to prevent frostbite or leave her isolated in the coop with a heat source?

Attachments

• C0A62761-36C9-40CA-9174-D4372ECCE199.jpeg
    C0A62761-36C9-40CA-9174-D4372ECCE199.jpeg
    690.3 KB · Views: 10
I would separate her asap until crisis is surely over and those scabs heal or can be covered with something like bluecoat, the others will stay at her and can cause serious damage.

Thanks! We got her all separated in her own little crate. Put some coconut oil on her bottom for protection / healing. :)

You’ve all been so helpful and I appreciate it!

(And PS yes I’m using supplemental heating lamps right now since it’s -30 lol, its only going to last two days so no judgement I know people get pushy about not using lamps in the coop)

Attachments

• 7B5A9E87-22E1-46C9-B950-F366DBE0E249.jpeg
    7B5A9E87-22E1-46C9-B950-F366DBE0E249.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 6
No sweat on the supplemental heat during a weather crisis, especially if your chickens are used to much warmer temps. Chickens in regularly freezing areas are acclimatized to it, but there's no shame in helping chickens living in otherwise moderate climates get through these dangerous temperature dives.

Try not to keep the hen away from the flock any longer than is necessary as it's going to require her to endure confrontations with the others once she reappears suddenly. Blu-kote painted on all open sores and naked skin can neutralize the attraction to the others to peck her bottom parts. A protective enclosure or a crate in the run where she's safe would be a better idea than segregation.

A small patch of naked skin isn't going to put her at any significant risk for freezing while she's roosting at night.

Back
Top Bottom