Prolapsed Vent in new chick?

fourblackpaws

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
Hi!

We just brought this girl home an hour ago and I cleaned off her pasty butt. As soon as I cleared the built up poop away she pooped. I'm afraid she now has a prolapsed vent!

She is much more active now that I cleaned it out and is eating and drinking normally (right now she is rummaging around in the shavings.

Is this a prolapsed vent or just inflamed from having pasty butt?? Can I do anything to help her?

Can't get the pictures to upload. Here is a Dropbox link to the pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m34yb1j5bjx9m4n/AADPQTrWetgobmBMBq79qQMNa?dl=0

Last edited:

The tissue on a baby chick's vent is very fragile and easily irritated. It can swell and give the appearance of prolapse. You wouldn't need to ask if it was actually prolapsed. It quits looking like a vent when that happens.

Coconut oil is one of the best things you can use to soothe and heal the inflamed tissue. It will help prevent further poop from sticking.

To upload pictures, click on the little icon with the mountain and moon in the same strip as the smiley face. It will allow you to interface your photo files with BYC.

Just posted pictures above :) I'm thinking it is just inflamed but thought I would ask :) I'll use some coconut oil on her rear to see if that helps. She seemed to be very relieved once the obstruction was cleared!

The tissue on a baby chick's vent is very fragile and easily irritated. It can swell and give the appearance of prolapse. You wouldn't need to ask if it was actually prolapsed. It quits looking like a vent when that happens.

Coconut oil is one of the best things you can use to soothe and heal the inflamed tissue. It will help prevent further poop from sticking.

To upload pictures, click on the little icon with the mountain and moon in the same strip as the smiley face. It will allow you to interface your photo files with BYC.
How often should the coconut oil be applied?

Back
Top Bottom