Prolapsed vent need advice

amanda1

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2015
C3A9888A-947D-4957-A76A-772ACF5DB8F4.jpeg

I cannot get this to stay in. I’ve tried prep h, sugar water, and sugar. I try holding it in but her vent is throbbing, and every time she poops it comes out. She just laid an egg a couple of hours ago. I feel like my constant messing with it isn’t helping. She is 4 years old and lays rather large eggs and has had issues with egg shell quality. I try to get her extra calcium but I was away for five days and this is what I came home to. My caregivers only noticed the poop on her rear, and not anything else, so no one thought there was a problem.

Can you try to get a more clear picture of a cleaned up vent sometime today or tomorrow? Make sure that her vent is kept moist so the prolapsed tissue does not dry out. Honey, coconut oil, and others can be used. Just keep her vent clean and keep trying to push the prolapse back in, and hold it there for several minutes. It can take several days to stay in.

I would stop her from laying by keeping her in a dark room or in very low light for 16 out of every 24 hours, and let her out in the light for 8 hours a day to eat and drink, and to walk around. This can take 3 or more days. Keep her isolated so her vent doesn’t get pecked.

You can give her a whole ground egg shell and a little cooked egg yolk daily for calcium and D3. Or you may give a human calcium tablet 1/2 tablet daily for several days to see if it helps to harden her shells. An injury or a previous virus called infectious bronchitis can later cause problems with the shell gland, and that can result in shell-less, thin shelled, or several shell abnormalities.

Can you try to get a more clear picture of a cleaned up vent sometime today or tomorrow? Make sure that her vent is kept moist so the prolapsed tissue does not dry out. Honey, coconut oil, and others can be used. Just keep her vent clean and keep trying to push the prolapse back in, and hold it there for several minutes. It can take several days to stay in.

I would stop her from laying by keeping her in a dark room or in very low light for 16 out of every 24 hours, and let her out in the light for 8 hours a day to eat and drink, and to walk around. This can take 3 or more days. Keep her isolated so her vent doesn’t get pecked.

You can give her a whole ground egg shell and a little cooked egg yolk daily for calcium and D3. Or you may give a human calcium tablet 1/2 tablet daily for several days to see if it helps to harden her shells. An injury or a previous virus called infectious bronchitis can later cause problems with the shell gland, and that can result in shell-less, thin shelled, or several shell abnormalities.

Thank you. She’s in a cage with a towel over most of it to keep it dimly lit. She has layer feed and crushed egg shell to eat. I have wondered if there is something else going on with her as she occasionally lays a soft shelled egg or a very weak shelled egg. All of her eggs are always extremely large. None of my other hens have these issues, so I thought if she had infectious bronchitis or something similar, the other hens would have had it too.

I have seen infectious bronchitis in my flock once, and it spreads through over several months with basically sneezing every few minutes. So, it usually is noticed unless they might have suffered a mild case as a chick. Have you always owned her? Hopefully, the calcium will help. My hens prefer to eat their own crushed shells fed back to them. I just put them in a bowl and they disappear quickly. Layer feed has extra calcium as well. Here is a good article to read about egg shell problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I have seen infectious bronchitis in my flock once, and it spreads through over several months with basically sneezing every few minutes. So, it usually is noticed unless they might have suffered a mild case as a chick. Have you always owned her? Hopefully, the calcium will help. My hens prefer to eat their own crushed shells fed back to them. I just put them in a bowl and they disappear quickly. Layer feed has extra calcium as well. Here is a good article to read about egg shell problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
Yes, I’ve had all my flock since they were babies. We are still working on this. I’m feeling a lot of heartache over it. She is eating crushed egg shells, which is how my flock prefers to get their extra supplement over and above the layer feed. I’m soaking her 2-3 times a day. Picking at the scabby thing that seems to be keeping the prolapse from staying in. Keeping her lubed, and using anti fungal, anti biotic spray. Keeping her in darkness most of the day to prevent laying.

Back
Top Bottom