Prolapsed vent not healing

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i have a young leghorn (approx 9 months) that has been an excellent layer. However since sunday (so total 4 days now) i discovered a prolapsed vent. I researched the forum and after cleaning applied vaseline and pushed it back in. On sunday (day1) she laid a normal egg although the shell was bloody and on Monday (day2) she laid a soft shell egg. I have since had her on water and fed her mixed grains twice in the last 3 days.

She has not laid any eggs since day 2.

The prolapse swelling seems to have gone down a bit, however it keeps popping out.
Since i only visit the birds twice a day, mornings and evenings, i have cleaned it up and pushed it in whenever i can. I have also tried applying witch hazel and given her some calcium but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

Any other suggestions to help with the situation or is culling the only option left now ?

Thanks for the tips. One thing i noticed in the article is that they were recommending calcium citrate however the tablets I have are calcium carbonate.

How long shall i continue the calcium tablets ?

Calcium citrate just works better, but carbonate will work for now. Citrate is absorbed more quickly. You could pick that up later, but using carbonate for the moment should be fine.

Expect a couple of days to a week. If she continues having egg issues and needs a calcium boost you can give it to her for 2 weeks, and then see if she has normalized.

+2 more days, so a total of 4 days of calcium tablets and far no improvement. I am giving calcium carbonate tablets twice a day and also cleaning the hen once when i open the hens up and once when i close them for the night.

Tomorrow will be day 8 of the prolapse.

Do you want to get calcium citrate and give that a try? Carbonate is not as fast acting. From the article it sounded like it took a while to resolve, too. I can also tag the author in here if you want them to help answer questions.

Day 9 update.

So last night i put her crate in the main chicken run and went to sleep. This morning i was surprised to see the crate open. Looks like she managed to escape and was roaming around with the other hens

Anyway, after catching her and giving a check over i am pleased to report that the prolapse seems to have healed up. Not sure if the escape from the crate + exercise was the trigger or the twice daily calcium carbonate tablets.

I have still given her another tablet this morning and will monitor closely till she lays an egg again.

Not sure if i should keep up the tablets now or should stop ?

Back
Top Bottom