Prolapsed Vent that wont stay in

NurseRy

Hatching
Jun 16, 2022
Hey guys, so I noticed a very large prolapsed vent on one of my girls. After doing a lot of research I've soaked her bottom in warm water several times, applied honey, and held the prolapse in for 10 minutes multiple times. Every single time she immediately pushes it back out. This has been going on for 2 days now. There's no vets in the area that will see chickens so I'm feeling kind of hopeless.

Hey guys, so I noticed a very large prolapsed vent on one of my girls. After doing a lot of research I've soaked her bottom in warm water several times, applied honey, and held the prolapse in for 10 minutes multiple times. Every single time she immediately pushes it back out. This has been going on for 2 days now. There's no vets in the area that will see chickens so I'm feeling kind of hopeless.
What happened in your situation?

I have been reading this and one of my girls has the same issue. It’s been almost a week and I been keeping her separated from the others in low light. How long does it take for them, I’ve given warm soak multiple times, held it in for as long as 17 minutes and she’s pushed it right back out. I am worried. She’s not even a year old yet.

It's not going to stay in on its own. If it pops right back out and you can't get it to stay, the most humane thing to do is put her down, IMO. A week is a long time for her to be traumatized with this. My experience is with a runner who prolapsed and I brought her inside, and over the course of a few days, put it carefully back in about 40 times - every time she pooped it came back out. She was thoroughly traumatized and stopped eating. After a few days I tried a giant bandaid that room to still shoot the poop out, and that did the trick. It kept the prolapse in when she pooped and I kept her inside a few more days, monitoring, and changing the bandaid to keep her clean. Three months passed and she didn't lay, but just a couple weeks ago she laid an egg and prolapsed again. This time same scenario but band-aids didn't work. I could see that as soon as spring came it would be a constant problem anyway. Some ducks apparently are more prone to this. It was super sad for us, but we decided to put her down.

It's not going to stay in on its own. If it pops right back out and you can't get it to stay, the most humane thing to do is put her down, IMO. A week is a long time for her to be traumatized with this. My experience is with a runner who prolapsed and I brought her inside, and over the course of a few days, put it carefully back in about 40 times - every time she pooped it came back out. She was thoroughly traumatized and stopped eating. After a few days I tried a giant bandaid that room to still shoot the poop out, and that did the trick. It kept the prolapse in when she pooped and I kept her inside a few more days, monitoring, and changing the bandaid to keep her clean. Three months passed and she didn't lay, but just a couple weeks ago she laid an egg and prolapsed again. This time same scenario but band-aids didn't work. I could see that as soon as spring came it would be a constant problem anyway. Some ducks apparently are more prone to this. It was super sad for us, but we decided to put her down.
She is a barred rock chicken. It really breaks my heart b/c she isn't even a year old.

I'm so sorry!!! I know how your feel, it's terrible. My girl was only 6 months old when it first happened, and now just 10 months. It's so hard.

When I came home today from work I went to her and it has receded. I don’t know for how long but plan to keep her in the tractor covered wit a tarp for a while so she won’t want to lay and pray she heals. Been giving her oregano, probiotics, oyster shell, after soaking in warm water I used vetrimycin spray, keeping her in a box at night in my basement. I pray she’ll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom