prolapsed vent, unable to poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Piper9999, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Piper9999

Piper9999 New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Hi,

I have a quail with prolapsed vent. This happened about 3 hours ago now. I have been treating it as if she was a chicken because I can't find any advice for quail with prolapsed vent.

I'm very worried, I have had to push it gently back in 3 times now, but I have been unable to use an anti inflammatory. Anyone have any advice on an anti-inflammatory to use? She is separated from the other quail and is in a cardboard box in the house with a towel to sit on and a blanket over the box. I haven't given her any food, but she has drank some water.

What I am most concerned about is that she is trying to poop but seems to be unable to, and ends up just pushing the prolapse back out again. Otherwise it seems the vent would stay in. Any advice? How can I help her poop???

I'm really worried, although when she has pushed the prolapse out it hasn't been as bad as the first time, which I find encouraging.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Put some honey, sugar, or Preparation H ointment on the inside and outside of the vent. Try leaving the prolapse out for a bit to see if she can pass droppings. If she can't pass droppings, she could be egg bound as well. I know nothing about quail, but if they can't pass droppings, they can't live. I would feed her some egg or whatever her favorite food is to stimulate her to poop. Usually with chickens, you can feel inside the vent with a gloved finger for a stuck egg, but it would have to be a tiny finger for a quail. You could place her in a moist warm environment such as a bathroom with the hot shower running to help her pass an egg, if that is the problem. A shallow warm soak would do the same thing, unless she is very weak, which would not be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by