Prolapsed Vent with Necrotic Tissue

Sparkygirl

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
I have a 2 year old Serama hen who tried to lay a regular sized egg and it prolapsed her vent (like it looks like a ballon around the egg). This was on Friday night and I caught it really early so was able to help her.

Monday she tried to lay another egg which shocked me since she hasn’t laid in months and even before would only lay 1 a week. Anyway, because of the vent condition it wasn’t going to come out so we again assisted, and got the egg out.

I have been doing Epsom salt soaks when it is popped out, Vetericyn, spray, Hydro Cortizone, and just added in hemorrhoid cream (jury seemed out but I didn’t think it was getting smaller). She is also getting ground calcium on her eggs and cheese. Also eating chick starter and a little bit of seeds.

She is in the house but is eating, drinking, pooping and behaving normally however every time she poops it pops back out. I’ve read all the posts and it seems like I just need to keep on doing what I am doing until she is better? I have tried cutting the necrotic tissue but afraid of cutting healthy tissue. She lets me do whatever I need to and is happy inside. Her main flock mates are another small Serama hen and rooster so sometimes they come in for company.

Will the vet be able to do anything more for her? Appts are so expensive where I am and she isn’t a chicken specific vet.

Pictures of the current state.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

• 31F96BCA-D0F2-4573-A287-F3B5D1984315.jpeg
    31F96BCA-D0F2-4573-A287-F3B5D1984315.jpeg
    604.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 4CC52B23-7BD7-4FDF-9F19-A4BC470A5DBC.jpeg
    4CC52B23-7BD7-4FDF-9F19-A4BC470A5DBC.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 15
  • C9335AF2-473A-4E18-ADDA-F14344B6FC26.jpeg
    C9335AF2-473A-4E18-ADDA-F14344B6FC26.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 15
Hello! I would also get calcium citrate, if serama is smaller then a standard hen you'll need to break the pill in two and dose her morning and night. Also keep the vent moistened at all times. Honey works well.

Keep it moist and keep putting it back in. I had one that had damage like this, I used honey and triple antibiotic ointment, I didn't cut anything, I used a piece of moistened gauze (you can buy gauze pads) and used that to gently debride the necrotic areas, a few larger areas I used sterilized tweezers to remove what I could, trying to do as little damage to healthy tissue as possible. I did this quite a few times until it was looking healthy (I honestly can't remember how many times in all). Every time you work on it, cover it after with the honey or ointment. Honey will also help with swelling. I've used hemorrhoid cream also, and hydrocortisone cream too, haven't killed one with it. But the honey, or a petroleum based ointment helps keep it moist better. She prolapsed twice, and so far, never again, and it's been nearly a year now. The necrotic bits can make her feel like she needs to push something out, so she will, until that's resolved. I also used a sling on her overnight, to help hold it in then, I will link to a thread that shows an example. I also kept her in a dark room to stop her laying while she healed. She had light for a little while a few times a day to eat and drink, but I kept her in the dark for the majority of the time. After the second prolapse, I was concerned that it would continue to happen, with some birds it will, but after her second period of healing, so far she's laid normally.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

What kind of ground calcium are you giving her? If you can, give her calcium citrate +D (Citracal or generic equivalent), that is absorbed a little better than others. It will help with contractions and retention. Chick starter doesn't have calcium in it as the calcium can damage organs in growing chicks, so if she's eating that all the time then you need to make sure she's got oystershell available all the time for the calcium she needs. There is nothing wrong with feeding the starter, you just have to make sure they have access to the oystershell all the time. Even then, deficiencies can happen, so it's a good idea to have the calcium on hand for situations like these, if you have hens.

What kind of ground calcium are you giving her? If you can, give her calcium citrate +D (Citracal or generic equivalent), that is absorbed a little better than others. It will help with contractions and retention. Chick starter doesn't have calcium in it as the calcium can damage organs in growing chicks, so if she's eating that all the time then you need to make sure she's got oystershell available all the time for the calcium she needs. There is nothing wrong with feeding the starter, you just have to make sure they have access to the oystershell all the time. Even then, deficiencies can happen, so it's a good idea to have the calcium on hand for situations like these, if you have hens.
I just started feeding her the chick food because somebody recommended it so it has only been a day or so. I thought it might be gentler poops? She is getting some of her regular seed mixture, and I will toss some oyster shells in there as well.

I do need to get some of the calcium citrate plus D. I’ve been yesterday night.
I have a 2 year old Serama hen who tried to lay a regular sized egg and it prolapsed her vent (like it looks like a ballon around the egg). This was on Friday night and I caught it really early so was able to help her.

Monday she tried to lay another egg which shocked me since she hasn’t laid in months and even before would only lay 1 a week. Anyway, because of the vent condition it wasn’t going to come out so we again assisted, and got the egg out.

I have been doing Epsom salt soaks when it is popped out, Vetericyn, spray, Hydro Cortizone, and just added in hemorrhoid cream (jury seemed out but I didn’t think it was getting smaller). She is also getting ground calcium on her eggs and cheese. Also eating chick starter and a little bit of seeds.

She is in the house but is eating, drinking, pooping and behaving normally however every time she poops it pops back out. I’ve read all the posts and it seems like I just need to keep on doing what I am doing until she is better? I have tried cutting the necrotic tissue but afraid of cutting healthy tissue. She lets me do whatever I need to and is happy inside. Her main flock mates are another small Serama hen and rooster so sometimes they come in for company.

Will the vet be able to do anything more for her? Appts are so expensive where I am and she isn’t a chicken specific vet.

Pictures of the current state.

Thanks for the suggestions!
update! I feels like she might have another egg coming, ugh. We had to break the last one to get it out because her vent wouldn’t stretch but it was pretty soft and fairly easy to get out without issue. Aside from Vaseline when the time comes should I be prepared to possibly cut her vent to release the egg? I hate this for my baby!!

Get the calcium asap. A soft egg is very hard to pass, the muscles don't have anything to push against. I would not cut the vent to release an egg. Give the calcium and try to lube around the egg with your finger and something like KY jelly to help it pass. The calcium will also help with contractions. A warm bath can also help them relax and help them pass the egg, make sure she's completely dry after. You can also put warm, dry towels under her (put them in the dryer for a few minutes) to help warm and relax her.

Back
Top Bottom