Prolapsed vent

How is your hen doing?

Calcium supplementation is regularly recommended for cases of dystocia, prolapses, or egg binding to help enhance muscle contractions in the oviduct and to better strengthen eggshell formation. For supplemental calcium, you can use one calcium citrate + D3, or Calcium gluconate 23% given at 0.2ml per pound, orally. Tums can also be used, anecdotally, I have given around a pill at a time, but the tums form calcium carbonate, does not stay in the system very long, therefore, the other supplements may be preferred.

In addition to calcium supplementation, ensure the hen is hydrated well, to further ensure that, you can offer sugar water or an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Sav-a-Chick.

I would not switch her over to cracked corn, she should be on layer feed, cracked corn will help induce the problem from reoccurring due to the several minerals, and vitamins it lacks. If the prolapse reoccurs, try using something like DMSO, or preparation H on the tissue, to better reduce any edema going on. If it continues to prolapse, it is likely she has an egg further up the oviduct creating pressure on the tissue, in which case ovocentesis, and bilateral sutures placed on the vent may be needed.
Graphic Pictures attached
I have been soaking her in Epsom salt and spraying prolapse with vetricin and applying honey I also tried making a paste from a prep h suppositorie and put on prolapse. It did not make a good paste so I need to get the cream. I have been giving her tums and vit d. I have added save a chick to water and kept her on her normal layer pellets as you mentioned would be better than switching to corn. She seems to be drinking good and eating a little less and pooping less. Her poop is a different size that it was before. The prolapse does not look much smaller at all. I stopped trying to put pressure on it to push back in because she seems to push back. I noticed something today and I will try to attach photos. I am not sure if this is normal or part of the problem. At the top part of the prolapse ( part closer to the body) in the prolapse there is a tiny hole or perforation that poop comes out of in a tiny stream not sure if this is normal or part of the problem. First video where you see the white coming out is the tiny hole that is where the poop is coming out of is out white and brown. The brown is very thin like size of the the lead in a pencil. First photo you can see the hole with nothing in it. The last photo you can see a tiny brown dot....that is the size of the poop that comes out. Sorry for the graphic photos but I do not know if this is normal.

Attachments​

• DSCN0147.MOV
    26 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0145.JPG
    DSCN0145.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0146.JPG

Graphic Pictures attached
I have been soaking her in Epsom salt and spraying prolapse with vetricin and applying honey I also tried making a paste from a prep h suppositorie and put on prolapse. It did not make a good paste so I need to get the cream. I have been giving her tums and vit d. I have added save a chick to water and kept her on her normal layer pellets as you mentioned would be better than switching to corn. She seems to be drinking good and eating a little less and pooping less. Her poop is a different size that it was before. The prolapse does not look much smaller at all. I stopped trying to put pressure on it to push back in because she seems to push back. I noticed something today and I will try to attach photos. I am not sure if this is normal or part of the problem. At the top part of the prolapse ( part closer to the body) in the prolapse there is a tiny hole or perforation that poop comes out of in a tiny stream not sure if this is normal or part of the problem. First video where you see the white coming out is the tiny hole that is where the poop is coming out of is out white and brown. The brown is very thin like size of the the lead in a pencil. First photo you can see the hole with nothing in it. The last photo you can see a tiny brown dot....that is the size of the poop that comes out. Sorry for the graphic photos but I do not know if this is normal.

Attachments​

• DSCN0147.MOV
    26 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0145.JPG
    DSCN0145.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0146.JPG
did not attach phots in same order as I thought...will add the others'

here is another photo cant get video to post.

Attachments

• DSCN0148.JPG
    DSCN0148.JPG
    463.2 KB · Views: 11
How is your hen doing?

Calcium supplementation is regularly recommended for cases of dystocia, prolapses, or egg binding to help enhance muscle contractions in the oviduct and to better strengthen eggshell formation. For supplemental calcium, you can use one calcium citrate + D3, or Calcium gluconate 23% given at 0.2ml per pound, orally. Tums can also be used, anecdotally, I have given around a pill at a time, but the tums form calcium carbonate, does not stay in the system very long, therefore, the other supplements may be preferred.

In addition to calcium supplementation, ensure the hen is hydrated well, to further ensure that, you can offer sugar water or an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Sav-a-Chick.

I would not switch her over to cracked corn, she should be on layer feed, cracked corn will help induce the problem from reoccurring due to the several minerals, and vitamins it lacks. If the prolapse reoccurs, try using something like DMSO, or preparation H on the tissue, to better reduce any edema going on. If it continues to prolapse, it is likely she has an egg further up the oviduct creating pressure on the tissue, in which case ovocentesis, and bilateral sutures placed on the vent may be needed.
Took a good mth but she recovered!

Be careful of infection too. I've seen prolapse in sheep and cows and you have to keep them very clean and tidy down there.

Back
Top Bottom