Prolapsed vent

Chicken xto

Chirping
7 Years
May 13, 2014
I’m taking care of a hen who was “crying”....and when I looked her over, saw that her tissue was protruding from her vent. I read that I should give her soaks in warm water, which I’ve done daily for 20 mins, I’ve given her some yogurt with crushed calcium, I’ve put AC vinegar in her water, applied Prep H to her exposed tissue....and I put her on antibiotics. Days ago, she passed a very soft shelled egg, and for the last two days she’s passed a yolk with the white part....no shell at all..... she eats and drinks and walks around normally, but she makes a kind of an extended squaaaawk noise and her tissue sort of extends out of her vent, like she’s trying to get something out. She does this in the afternoon, but not so much in the morning. If I push her tissue in her vent, it just pops back out when she pushes. Any experience with this....or thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

• 8B2E00E2-7EF0-4E56-9EBB-7E9CDB42FC94.jpeg
    8B2E00E2-7EF0-4E56-9EBB-7E9CDB42FC94.jpeg
    482.8 KB · Views: 17
Keep the red prolapse tissue moist with honey or a mild oil to keep it from drying out. Try pushing it back in and holding it there with a gloved hand, and just hold her on your lap for awhile to calm her. Prolapses can slip back out for days when pooping or trying to pass an egg. What do you feed her? Does she have crushed oyster shell available for extra calcium?

Is she a new layer? I would give the calcium for several days, to see if it helps. You may stop her from laying eggs by placing her in the dark for 16 hours each day, then letting her out for 8 hours a day to walk around eat and drink. It takes 3-4 days to accomplish. Keep her separated from others in a dog crate with food and water until her prolapse is staying in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Eggcessive.....your advice was right on, and my girl is all better....pooping normally, happy, vent closed and healthy looking...she hasn’t laid an egg yet, but I am so encouraged. I hope her flock accepts her back nicely, and then all will be hunky dory!

Back
Top Bottom