prolapsed vent

wife4life92

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
I have a bantam BB Red hen with a prolapsed vent. I've done everything I'vee seen on this forum to correct it and it keeps "popping back out". She hasn't been laying and there doesn't appear to be an egg stuck. I've treated her with preparation H to help with the swelling but to no avail.

How long should I expect her to be like this? She has been secluded from the flock for a week now.

Quote:
I've tried several times to manually push the protrusion back. I noticed that she has "tone" and was able to push back beyond that point and it stayed for a few minutes. But as soon as she hopped down off her perch, it popped back out.

It is still protruding and does not appear to be dried out but the feces keeps accumulating on it. She is confined away from the flock until I can figure out what to do for her. She is our "first" and favorite chicken and I don't want the rest of them to peck her to death.

Any suggestions???

With the one I had I kept at it half of the aft and all evening. There was something I read once that said you could put in one stitch to keep the vent closed. You would have to watch her close to make sure she isn't trying to lay an egg though. I'm not sure what else to try. Good luck!

How much is hanging out. If it is just a little bit you could continue trying to push it in. If it is a good amount you may want to take her to the vet. Sometimes they can tack it in there. In the meantime I would decrease the amount of light she gets to keep her from laying. If you do push it in really slather on the preparation H and you can also apply a little ice or a very cold cloth to her bottom to help with the swelling.

Back
Top Bottom