Prolapsed vent

That hard scab, Is it attached to the vent itself and not the prolapse. How is her poop looking? Glad she enjoys her spa treatment, :) to bad the blow dryer scares her.
This is the newest picture. It still doesn't want to stay in and we still have a bit of a scab, but WAY better than what we started with.
She really needs to have the prolapse back in, my understanding it gets harder for it to stay in the longer its out. Thats why I ask about the scab if its hopefully attached to the vent. Keep trying to put it in.

Anatomy-of-the-chicken-with-text.jpg

chicken_digestion_labeled.jpg

labeled_digestive_tract_2.jpg

Is the yellow stuff one of her organs ? I can't see it well.
You said that you can't get rid of....

The good news is what she eats and drinks and lays an egg. :)

After an operation or scar tissue will be healed in 2 weeks around as I heard. I may be wrong.
The scab seems to be on the prolapse itself. I've gotten quite a bit of it off. I'll be glad when we are no longer snow bound so I can get out and get the necessary supplies to help her. We're doing what we can with what we have.

Keep it smeared with the antibiotic ointment
I can get it to go back in, but it pops right back out :(  It is getting smaller.
i am glad its getting smaller. Do you think the scab is poop hardened or maybe is a sore. To me it looks like hard poop in the picture. I read sugar helps reduce the swelling as well. Keep putting the prolapse in and hold it in. :) your doing a great job.

I was able to get a better photo today. We have soaked her in warm water with epsom salts, baking soda, peroxide and betadine and have massaged the area with olive oil. After drying her, applied an antifungal cream and separated her from the flock in a warm semi-dark place. She is eating greens, yogurt, drinking water with cider vinegar and garlic and moving around. After researching a few sites, it looks to be more vent gleet than prolapse. She is moving the vent which is still soft, no smell, just a small amount of what looked like yeast before the soak. After the soak all areas were a bright pink. I'm not positive it is gleet, but a good cleansing and added pampering can't hurt.

love.gif

I was able to get a better photo today. We have soaked her in warm water with epsom salts, baking soda, peroxide and betadine and have massaged the area with olive oil. After drying her, applied an antifungal cream and separated her from the flock in a warm semi-dark place. She is eating greens, yogurt, drinking water with cider vinegar and garlic and moving around. After researching a few sites, it looks to be more vent gleet than prolapse. She is moving the vent which is still soft, no smell, just a small amount of what looked like yeast before the soak. After the soak all areas were a bright pink. I'm not positive it is gleet, but a good cleansing and added pampering can't hurt.

love.gif

When is the last time when she laid an egg?

I"m Not sure, we have 22 hens going in and out of the coop and I personally have not seen her lay eggs. Do you think maybe she has a problem with an egg being stuck? I felt around while she was soaking but did not feel anything. She opens and closes her vent and yesterday seemed to be trying to push something out. She had a small, loose stool, when the feed was hung she opted for greens - collards, turnips, mustards, dandelion, lambs ear was her choice. She does drink water,runs around in the run, flys into the coop at dusk as normal. She is alone in her own space tonight so that we can observe. What should I look for specifically in the event there is an egg stuck?

Your hen seems like my sick chicken who has been suffering from internal layer / egg yolk peritonitis unfortunately.. what you describe of your hen is like mine. I hope it is not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom