Prolapsed Vent??

Leah257

Hatching
Feb 6, 2015
I noticed a lot of stool on my chicken's feathers below her vent so I went to clean her off and saw a big red sac coming out of her vent, protruding about an inch. I did a lot of research on here and I think it's a prolapsed vent. I soaked her in an epsom salt bath, cleaned her off and tried to push it back in. I couldn't feel an egg in there at all. I held it in for 10 minutes, all the while she kept trying to push it out. I did this a number of times to no avail. I had to go to work, so I put her in a large dog kennel in a dark room so she hopefully won't lay. I did put some water in the kennel with her. We have a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon, but is there anything else I can do to make her feel comfortable? She's been acting completely normal from what I can tell. Do I keep trying to put it back in? Is persistence key here? Or is there no hope? Any advice would be great since I'm at a loss here.

Sounds like you are doing everything right.

I'd rub a little Preperation H on her vent to reduce the swelling. If she continues to strain, it's possible that she's egg bound... Continue the Epsom soaks and Prep H treatment until she passes the egg or the prolapse resolves itself. :)

Welcome to BYC!

MrsB

Apply some honey, sugar, or Preparation H ointment to the vent inside and out, to help reduce the swelling. Lubrication and attempting to push it back in repeatedly until it stays is about all you can do. After a day or so the swelling may be reduced enough for it to stay in. Make sure that she is able to pass droppings, or that could be very serious if there is an obstruction. Put her in a dark cage or room Like a closet for 16 hours of every day, say 4 pm to 8 am to help her stop laying, until she heals. Here is some reading for you:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
http://www.beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

Thank you for the replies. I used honey the first time I tried, but I might go pick up some PH and try again tonight. I just know she hates me trying to put it back, but I hate seeing her like this. Hopefully the vet visit tomorrow will go well and this will get taken care of. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom