Prolific Layers

It seems like you want a winter hardy breed...but I just want to tell you how much I love my White Leghorns I have 7 and they lay everyday. They are a smaller chicken but the pop out some BIG eggs. They also mature very fast, mine started laying at 19 weeks. You might like to consider them. If you don't like white you can get a Brown Leghorn. Either are very pretty.

I like my mix beeds. They are colorful, great layers, and not expensive. Mine are crossed with black giant so if you want to process roos they would work great too.

Check this site out. Good site.
smile.png

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I suppose the original title is not what I ended up liking. Yes I want lots of big eggs, but also some variety in the flock and variety in the egg basket.

All i have is bantams, and they seem to eat about as much as my dad's RIR and leghorns do! But they are deffinitely much cuter!
wee.gif

Last edited:
hi to you all nice people! my name is marvin and I am from nicaragua.. I would like to add my 2 cents., hopefuly it would be of some help!... my ultimate goal is to have a small chicken that does not eat much and that lays the most amout of eggs! I call this chicken THE ULTIMATE EGG MACHINE!! well I am very close to that, but I did get alot of help of the bigest egg producer in nicaragua, the help came as a disgarded(burned out) layer...you see this PROLIFIC layers lay around 2 years top then they are send to nicaraguan markets as cheap chicken for soup they cost around 3 dollars and nicaraguan native chickens cost around 12 dolarls(ready for soup), so I rescued about 10 of thouse ten only 5 made it, they were in very bad shape, and they began to lay about 6 months after I saved them, this PROLIFIC LAYERS are a strain of PRODUCTION TYPE LEGHORNS, they weight 800 grams and their eggs are 65 grams in weight, they are exelent free rangers and eat very small amout of food. I already have B2 flock(7/8) and they are PROLIFIC layers and they will get better at 15/16,

to me a 800g chicken that lays 65g 300+ eggs a year is THE ULTIMATE EGG MACHINE...

welcome-byc.gif
Nicamarvin!

Another breed that wasn't listed on your list is the Isa Brown. I don't know much about them, but have heard there's a hatchery here in Michigan that sells them and has bred only the best layers, resulting in an even better layer year to year. I believe it is Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, MI, that has them.

Back
Top Bottom