pronounce "Campine"?

When some of the first batches of Campines were imported from Belgium (via Britain) and Britain to the USA in one of the very first and main importers was Mr. M.R. Jacobus of Ridgefield NJ USA. (circa 1909)

He was also the Secretary of the American Campine Club and he wrote to Reverend. E. Lewis Jones who imported by far the best Campines all over the world to clarify the correct pronounciation.
This was his reply:

…. “It is pronounced KAM-PEEN.
The word CAMPINE is French (Flemish) and the method of pronouncing it is above.
We in English are accustomed to the word pine for the kind of a tree and at first 80 per cent of the people pronounced it as if it were KAM-PINE, but really the INE is pronounced as EEN in queen ....”

……. by Rev. E. Lewis Jones, Hayope Rectory,
Knighton, Radnorshire, England

When I visited Belguim a few years the way they pronounced it was with a Flemish roll in their voice as "Kum Peen".
I hope this helps those who are still a little unsure.

I pronounce it "KAM-pin" which may not be the way it was intended to be pronounced but would be the way it would be done with regular English pronunciation of any word spelled that way, being the walking dictionary my DH seems to think I am.
The silent e on the end would make the I long: cam-pine [like the tree]. That's how it's pronounced at poultry shows here in the US.

Quote:
Then again who cares what the british want? Who won the war anyway??? and the flemish who are they?? CAM PINE it is

Love the attitude!
lol.png

For those unsure of D'uccle, the correct Belgian (Flemish) pronounciation is more like "Dew Clay"

Useful for poultry breeders in Belgium I'm sure but I believe the Op is in the US. Here it is generally pronounced dee-yuccle. At least it is at poultry shows in the North East. Never heard anyone say dew-clay.

I would think the d'anver and d'uccle would be similar. You don't pronounce it dan-ver, but dee-an-ver. I'd see it similar in dee-uck-ul. There was a year or so here in CA when people pronounce it dew-clay.

Ross, I do hope you come back over to the Australorp thread, one persons opinion cannot be taken as the whole of the membership. Having the eye of a true Aussie judge, and breeder would be appreciated by all(especially those of us here in the US). Please do consider it.

Last edited:
Well, this is fun, to chicme in......

Belgium is half Flemish, a version of Dutch, and half French. The names for these birds that we use are the French versions and not the Flemish

Campine is pronounced in French "kam-PEEN". I have heard both kam-PEEN and kam-PINE; I say cam-PEEN because it is the more correct pronunciation and as a French speaker it doesn't make sense for me to say kam-PINE.

D'Uccle in French is pronounced something DEE-KLuh--when you pronounce the "EE" round your lips as if to say "OO" but remember to say "EE" with rounded lips. The last syllable is like the "a" in about but just barely prounounced. The usual pronunciation, Dee OOkles is, I guess, a good enough English pronunciation. The "Doo clay" is a good, and appropriate guess, but there is no accent aigu on the "e" in Uccle to give it that sound. The "e" in Uccle is practically silent.

It's fun that French is often thought of as hoighty-toighty but remember that there are just as many "rednecks" in France as there are here. If French Rednecks are reffered to as being "bauffe" pronouned like bowff, like boat with f's. I'm pretty bauffe at times
highfive.gif
. At least my friends would say so.

Last edited:
Language and various pronunciations are a funny thing. I’ve visited the USA on business many times and afterwards we’ve driven through many parts of your great country and the difference in accents in quite amazing.

Up in a country area in NY State about 35 years ago I met a grand old poultryman there who was so emphatic about using the pronunciation of the word as Kam Peen. His old Campine lines went back to some of the original importers and they were the best I had seen in the USA. In those days the internet just didn't happen and we used to write each other. He passed on in 1990 and his fowls were all given away to anyone who wanted them. The line was lost forever and what a shame.

Now NYREDS, old mate, I see that you’re a BYC Educator and an APA Licensed Judge and you breed Goldens and you don’t know the Flemish and can’t pronounce the bird correctly? We best get you educated on the ways of a true Campinist. I can him now muttering under his breathe…. “Aussies. What would they know!”

Yellow House Farm is about the closest to the correct pronunciation.

Now I know you fellows will say, what does a simple Aussie knows about Campines, as we are just as hard to understand as the French to some, but down here we breed pretty fair poultry. We had several USA show poultry breeders travel here about 10 years ago and visited some of our show poultry farms. Bill Wulff from “Poultry Press” newspaper, that you might be familiar, with was part of that group. I was honoured to have a group of them visit me and they wanted to “smuggle” my Australorp and Campine eggs back with them. They were a great group and we shared a few beers and lies over a BBQ on my farm. Poultrymen are the same the world over, most are very charming people.

I’m doing a presentation next Sunday, 3rd March, as part of a group of lecturers on selected fowls to show poultry breeders. My subject is the Campine.
After it’s done I’m handing out an 8 page A4 (2 x A3) information sheet on the breed from my perspective.

Here's a net link http://qldpoultry.com.au/doc/Workshop_Booking_Form.pdf

If any of you know how I can download a pdf file here, I would be happy to share it with your Campine group.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom